Anxious for assessment

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kfour
New member - welcome them!

Anxious for assessment

Post by Kfour »

Hi All, this Is my first post (on any chat room) so hope I am doing it right!

I have always felt I may be dyslexic so I recently arranged for an assessment. When I send back the pre assessment form the psychologist said that it was very helpful and could I now fill in a second form, this one for dyspraxia. I had never considered I may be dyspraxic before but after looking it up, a lot of the traits resonate with me. I took ages for me to learn to ride a bike/ drive a car and I am a terrible parker, I get lost when going somewhere new, i'm rubbish at reading maps, confuse left and right, planning and organising thoughts is a struggle (I have spent 3 days writing this!!) and I am sensitive to noise, heat and touch.

There is part of me that feels robbed of my personality if I am dyspraxic. Things which I considered to be my personality/ idiosyncrasies are traits of dyspraxia like poor hand dominance (I always thought it was cool that if my right hand got tired when I was hamerring I would use the other or if I am painting in a confined space I use the hand nearest the wall). I also hate loud music and crave peace and quite. I guess what I am trying to say is where does the dyspraxia end and your personality start? I am also anxious that it doesn't so up dyspraxia/dyslexia because then what is making me this way?

Any way, I get my assessment on Monday and am quite anxious about it, how do I make sure I get everything across in the time, what if I am having a good day and it doesn't show? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Anxious for assessment

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome

Our personalities are influenced by many factors and we are all individuals. Dyspraxia does have an influence but there are positives:. Determination; having empathy; big picture thinking etc.

It sounds as though you are living life and I can understand the revelation that you may be dyspraxic is frightening/confusing.. You are who you are and while you may share quirks with some of us here you will differ too. I'm not particulatly handy when it comes to DIY and I don't drive but there are other things I excel at.

I hope your assessment on Monday goes well and it helps you to understand/accept yourself

Technically the forum is a bulletin board rather than a chatroom where you chat in real time , a bit like a conference call instant message session. Either way your first post is fine. Please feel free to post more and update us about how Mon goes if you so choose
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Kfour
New member - welcome them!

Re: Anxious for assessment

Post by Kfour »

Thanks Tom.

Assessment confirmed dyslexia and dyspraxia. There were some positives too but I can't really remember what was said, need to wait for the report so feel like I am limbo at the moment. At least I know there is a reason for a lot of the things I do so hopefully when the report comes it will help to focus on the positives and give coping strategies for the negatives.

Kfour