Am I dyspraxic?please help

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Western365
New member - welcome them!

Am I dyspraxic?please help

Post by Western365 »

Hi I'm a 17 year old female student and lately I've been struggling to cope with some of the stuff I do that is different to other people.

I've always been clumsy and had difficulty with organising my thoughts as well as my life. But lately, since I've just completed my first year of college and started working, I've notices that certain traits have started getting worse. For example my time management, organisation and short term memory are diabolical. Ive not once this year managed to meet a deadline from the sheer amount of time it's taken me to complete a task, I have trouble organising my thoughts and keeping places tidy and sometimes people have to repeat something to me several times before I'll remember it sometimes its as if someone has wiped my memory as I genuinely don't remember people telling me important information.

Other things that have started to concern me is the fact that at work when the people I work with try and teach me how to do new things my brain simply can't process them, and it takes me a long time to learn how to do simple movements most people would get in minutes. This happens at college a lot as well since I do engineering, and as a consequence I start getting upset and anxious.

I have been dealing with this for a while now but was managing it up until a couple of months ago when I started having panic attacks. This sort of made me realise that I might need a bit of help and to confirm my suspicions that i may have dyspraxia and that I'm not making a fuss over nothing.

So please if anyone has any advice or help it would be much appreciated! Thank you :D
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Am I dyspraxic?please help

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to read that things are horribly difficult right now.I suspect you're fearful of asking for help but please do so as it makes no sense struggling more than you have to.

If possible get instructions in writing or write them down yourself then read them back to someone to ensure you have them down right.

This is just a brief response so please ask if you have other questions.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Western365
New member - welcome them!

Re: Am I dyspraxic?please help

Post by Western365 »

Thank you for the response, i am fearful but yes asking for help is definitely better than struggling in silence I'm now realising. And thank you for the advice of writing things down think this will most likely solve my problem so will definitely give it a try :D.