DLA

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I would suggest that you photocopy everything, as it means you have got it there to fall back on encase you do forget.

and it does help if you got the photocopies when they send you letters asking you to be more specific on questions.

as they wont tell you what you put on the form neither.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I second what shadwell says about making sure you have a copy of your original form. As the DWP may lose the form and also if you have to renew your DLA you will need to refer the original...

Also if you have a medical ask the DWP for a copy of the medical report as they only keep the report for 6 months then shred them... Also you may need it for the appeals process...
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

oooops i never photocopied the form i handed in didnt think of that ](*,)
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I found this guidance about DLA forms and learning difficulties.... I realise it does not over dyspraxia specifically... but thought it may help anyone else who has the fun job of filling the DLA forms in...

Disability Living Allowance
Guidance Pack for People with Learning Disabilities
If the applicant has other disabilities take advice from an adviser before completing the DLA claim forms.

This guidance pack has been written for a carer or relative to complete on behalf of the person with a Learning Disability.

To qualify for Disability Living Allowance for people with a Learning Disability, the person has to show that they need someone to oversee or watch over them regularly during the day indoors or outdoors (whether they actually receive this help or not is not relevant).

The watching over is to reduce the real harm to the person with the disability through injury to themselves or severe neglect. It may also be necessary to reduce the risk of harm to others.

If the person with the disability needs help with personal care, such as washing and dressing etc. This will also help to qualify for DLA.

On page 4 of the form, under the heading of:

HAVING SOMEONE WITH YOU WHEN YOU ARE OUTDOORS

The criteria is not asking how the person with the disability copes with their routine, well known routes, but asks what difficulties they would have in places they do not know well.
This section could include some of the following examples:

The person with the disability needs someone to be vigilant and watch over them and be ready to intervene. This could be because the person:

Runs off or wanders off
Is not aware of common dangers (such as road traffic)
Would be unable to find their way home if lost
Is unable to concentrate for sufficient periods and forgets where they are going.
Becomes upset in certain situations or places and needs to be distracted
Bumps into things or wanders off
Needs someone to check dangerous or upsetting situations ahead of them
Has unpredictable behaviour
Is open to being exploited by others
Has to be persuaded or coaxed to reach their destination
Has to be physically guided to reach their destination
The person with the disability may need someone to monitor their emotional state and be ready to intervene in case of:

Moody or disruptive behaviour
Screaming or shouting attacks
Refusing to walk or stops and refuses to walk further
Lies on the floor and refuses to get up
Becomes aggressive or violent to others
Throws objects or damage things
Risks hurting themselves
The person with the disability may need someone with them because they are unable to:

Communicate well enough to ask for directions, especially if they become lost.
On page 7 of the form, under the heading of:

GETTING OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING AND INTO BED AT NIGHT

The help needed for someone with a learning disability could include some of the following:
That the person with the disability needs:

Someone to physically take the bedclothes off
Help to sit up or rouse them or help them out of bed
To be reminded to go to bed at night
Help into bed
Needs specific instructions and a lot of encouragement/coaxing to get out of bed
If the person with the disability returns to bed or sleeps during the day describe the problems this causes, for example, do they refuse to change clothing or have to be coaxed or encouraged to get up otherwise they would stay in bed indefinitely.

On page 9 of the form, under the heading of:

HELP WITH YOUR TOILET NEEDS

During the day

It could include some of the following examples:

If the person is incontinent and needs cleaning and help to change clothes
If the person has to be reminded to go or be taken to the toilet in order to avoid wetting or soiling clothes.
If the person is unable to clean themselves properly and/or needs reminding or encouraging to wash their hands after visiting the toilet
Help needed with rearranging clothing or fastening clothing
If a woman, help needed with changing pads during the menstrual cycle, explain this

During the night

See "during the day" and repeat if necessary.

If help is needed changing bedclothes and putting soiled linen into the washer.

On page 10 of the form, under the heading of:

WASHING, BATHING, AND LOOKING AFTER YOUR APPEARANCE

In the section which asks you to describe the problems you have, you could include the following examples:

That the person with the disability:

Has to be given instructions at each stage
Only washes after continual coaxing and encouragement and washes infrequently or needs physical help with washing and drying
Be specific about the kind of help needed
Does not shave or brush hair or teeth without a lot of encouragement or is unable to do these things and needs help
Also refer to the list at the top of this page and on page 11 and describe the problems.

On page 11 of the form, under the heading of:

GETTING DRESSED OR UNDRESSED

In the section which asks you to "Describe the problems and the help needed", you could include the following examples:

Might remain indefinitely in the same clothes, if not coaxed to change, even if the clothes were stained
Would stay in the same clothes during the night instead of changing for bed because of lack of motivation or inability to dress properly
Would put odd socks on or wrongly button clothes or not adjust clothing properly
Needs physical help with dressing, explain which clothes the person needs help with and why?
On page 12 of the form, under the heading of:

PREPARING A COOKED MEAL FOR YOURSELF

This section could include the following examples:

Lacks concentration and has to be moved from one task to the other
Is unable to read or follow instructions
Is unable to plan other steps necessary in cooking a meal
Is clumsy with knives and utensils and risks injury or burns
Is unsafe around the cooker or hot pans because they cannot properly manipulate them to carry or drain
Is unable to use a tin opener, carving knife or other utensils, say why this is
Has difficulty using taps or leaves them running or risks scalding
Does not understand how to use a cooker or measure cooking time, say why this is
Is not aware of food hygiene
On page 13 of the form, under the heading of:

AT MEAL TIMES

In the section, which asks you to describe the problems and the help needed you could include the following:

That the person with the disability could need:

To be coaxed to eat
Help to use utensils - say what help is given
To be supervised in case food or drink is spilt and is needed to clear up
Feeding, even if only for some of the meal
Food to be cut up to make more manageable
On page 14 of the form, under the heading of:

HELP WITH MEDICAL TREATMENT

During the day

This section could include:

Forgets to take medication
Is unable to understand the importance of taking medication
Is unable to work out dosage or which times of the day to take medication
Has to be watched for side effects
During the night

See "During the day" and repeat if necessary.

On page 15 of the form, under the heading of:

SOMEONE KEEPING AN EYE ON YOU

During the day

This section could include that the person with the disability:

Turns on electrical appliances, or other appliances, and forgets to turn them off
Would be unable to do any routine daily tasks such as cooking, dressing, washing without supervision
Wanders off
Becomes aggressive or violent
Needs help with medication, explain this
You can also refer to the list at the top of page 15 of the DLA form and describe any of the incidents, which apply.

You can write additional information on page 21 of the form if there is not enough room here

During the night

You can repeat some of the things you have listed under "During the day".
You could also add some of the following if they apply (remember to describe why the person needs someone to be watchful over them).

Sleeps for only short periods and wanders about the house
Goes outside and risks wandering off
On page 18 of the form, under the heading of:

COMMUNICATING WITH OTHERS

In the section, which asks you to describe problems and the help needed you could include the following examples:

That the person with the disability has difficulty:

Speaking, being understood or understanding what is being said
Concentrating, cannot understand or remember things and has a very limited attention span
Understanding mail, letters, documents or terms and cannot reply
Using the telephone and understanding what has been said
Asking for help if it was needed
On page 21 of the form, under the heading of:

MORE ABOUT THE WAY YOUR ILLNESSES OR DISABILITIES AFFECT YOU

If there is anything else you want to add which you have not already explained on the form you can do so here.

On page 22 of the form, under the heading of:

DECLARATION

Complete this section and sign the declaration.

On page 23 of the form, under the heading of:

STATEMENT FROM THE PERSON WHO KNOWS YOU BEST

Where possible, it is best to have this page completed by your doctor. If not, and there is someone else who knows about the level of help needed, they can complete this page. It is advisable for this person to read through the claim form first and then state the kind of help they give, for example "I help with the following; getting out of bed in a morning, washing and bathing and drying"

The person may also be contacted by the Benefit Agency to describe the help they give.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

update recieved a letter today saying with the evidence they have they cant give it to me they need to write to my doctor.

my doctor (useless as he is) nos nothing of my dyspraxia not someone i see regualry however it is wrote in the notes i think but dont see how asking my dtr who i have never seen about it can be of any use.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I also had a letter saying they were contacting my GP before I had the medical...

I would suggest that you make an appointment to see your GP (ASAP) and discus the problems you have on a daily basis... include the main problems you have with daily living e.g. cooking a meal etc... which you would have included on your DLA form. If need be make notes and take them with you...

If you have a confirmed diagnosis of dyspaxia take the report to your GP to see... as they can be reluctant to take your word for it.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Hi keljohno,

Out of intrest have you heard anything back yet about your DLA???

I am still waiting... although the DWP had sent a letter saying they were dealing with the claim.... still no news, some 3 weeks later... I guess they will come to some conclusion eventually...
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Heard today that they have rejected my claim...

Guess I will be appealing....
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I claimed DLA my parents and I only heard about disability living allowance last year
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

good luck with it Liz, as taken me quite a while last time.

and I have got my renewal coming up in October, and taken me about 6 weeks to see my support worker, so she is going to call back on Thursday to do the renewal form with me 8-[

she is hoping that I might be able to raise the levels on it, with my probs, so be able to find out Thursday on how it goes. as she has got to bring the photocopies of my claim with her.

as I was in supported housing with them when they done my last claim. so hopefully she can find it in my file. (in amongst 1000's of other bits of paper!!)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

finally had my support worker call out yesterday, and go through the renewal form with me for my DLA claim, as she can't find my original claim stuff.

and I had it about a week before having my water payment card, and I have paid 8 weeks of that, so it is 9 weeks I been waiting, and phoning her to call out!

I know things come up, but to take that long to finally go through it? trouble is can't remember a lot of the stuff I mainly put in the original claim form.

**note to self: keep photocopies myself**
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

had medical got deinied,

dont see the point of appealing cos they'll jus deny me again and not wasting my time got this far on my own and at least will get help at uni
good luck to others thou
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

that is just the type of thing they want Lumic, is for people to give up on the first hurdle.

if you got a genuine case then you should fight it to the bitter end, at least that way, then you can say you tried, I think it is something like 98% of those that apply get turned down first time.

so I suggest you keep up the pressure. until the end, don't get me wrong, it is a lot of hassle, and deadlines, which if you can't fill in the forms, then it isn't your fault.

and yes it is a lot of hassle on contacting the people to deal with your claim, as you can see by my posts. usually better if you keep it somewhere in sight, so that it keeps reminding you that it still needs to be sorted!!

but at the end of the day, then it is the difference between getting bye, and actually living properly, and doing things you want to do, or make you happy. or getting someone to help with the things you have the most problems with, as they aren't going to do it for nothing. Apart from love or something.

as far as the medical goes, then it did quite litterally go in the one ear, and out of the other with the doctor that came to visit me. all he written in his report was the key points that I could remember, and said that I had no problems with those key points at all.

**Note to all: Get a photocopy of the medical report as well***
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

heard back from the DLA that they have got my form, and reviewing my claim now. keep everyone updated on how it goes.
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I'm thinking of applying for DLA, but holding out until I have been assessed for AS. Would it be better to apply just under the dyspraxic, dyslexic part or would I be better off waiting until after I've been assessed for AS?