Irlen Syndrome

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

James
Getting settled in

Irlen Syndrome

Post by James »

Has anyone looked into Irlen syndrome? I was referred for an assessment by the OT and thought some of you might find it useful... or that it rings a bell!

I went for the assessment this morning and I'll be getting some blue glasses soon, should be interesting! :)
The Irlen Method has been used for over 25 years to identify and help people with a type of processing problem called Irlen Syndrome, formerly known as Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome (SSS). Irlen Syndrome is not an optical problem. It is a problem with the brain's ability to process visual information. This problem tends to run in families and is not currently identified by other standardized educational or medical tests.
Irlen Syndrome can affect many different areas, including:
Academic and work performance
Behavior
Attention
Ability to sit still
Concentration
This problem can manifest itself differently for each individual. This problem is not remediable and is often a lifetime barrier to learning and performance. If you suffer from any of the following, Irlen Syndrome might be your problem:
Print looks different
Environment looks different
Slow or inefficient reading
Poor comprehension
Eye strain
Fatigue
Headaches
Difficulty with math computation
Difficulty copying
Difficulty reading music
Poor sports performance
Poor depth-perception
Low motivation
Low self-esteem

Symptoms of Irlen Syndrome
Light Sensitivity
Bothered by glare, fluorescent lights, bright lights, sunlight and sometimes lights at night
Some individuals experience physical symptoms and feel tired, sleepy, dizzy, anxious, or irritable. Others experience headaches, mood changes, restlessness or have difficulty staying focused, especially with bright or fluorescent lights.
Read more about light sensitivity and the Irlen Method >>
Reading Problems
Poor comprehension
Misreads words
Problems tracking from line to line
Reads in dim light
Skips words or lines
Reads slowly or hesitantly
Takes breaks
Loses place
Avoids reading
Discomfort
Strain and fatigue
Tired or sleepy
Headaches or nausea
Fidgety or restless
Eyes that hurt or become watery
Attention and Concentration Problems
Problems with concentration when reading and doing academic tasks
Often people can appear to have other conditions, such as attention deficit disorder, and are given medication unnecessarily.
Writing Problems:
Trouble copying
Unequal spacing
Unequal letter size
Writing up or downhill
Inconsistent spelling
Other Characteristics:
Strain or fatigue from computer use
Difficulty reading music
Sloppy, careless math errors
Misaligned numbers in columns
Ineffective use of study time
Lack of motivation
Grades do not reflect the amount of effort
Depth Perception:
Clumsiness
Difficulty catching balls
Difficutly judging distances
Additional caution necessary while driving
Distortions:
Words on the page lack clarity or stability; i.e., may appear to be blurry, moving, or disappear.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I've read about it before and do seriously wonder if I might have it. Whether I'll do anything about it - well that's to be seen...
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Thats interesting, Irlen's is almost a combination of dyspraxic, dyslexic and ADHD traits! I personally still feel I have more symptoms of dyspraxia,(I'm good at one thing, and that's bein dyspraxic!!) but it makes me wonder if some have Irlen's rather than dyspraxia...it looks like a pretty fine line really.
I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never ever gonna keep me down :D

James
Getting settled in

Post by James »

I don't think you have it "instead of", somehow, I think dyspraxia is a lot more pronounced than what's on the list. I was amazed at how much difference the filters made to just generally reading though (I don't show any dyslexic traits at all)... it might just be something to look into for some of you though, as if it can make even a little bit of difference it's usually worth it. :)
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

Oh right so it's something you have as well as dyspraxia?....sorry, my bad O:)

James
Getting settled in

Post by James »

Apparently it's more common in people with Dyslexia (it can make a difference to 50% apparently), but it's in the autistic spectrum - or so I was told. There's some dispute as to whether it actually is a syndrome, but it seems that the coloured filters do help some people! :)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

let us know when you find out more like who to see to get tested etc.

as it would be interesting to find out more about it, even though there is a fine line.

be interesting to see who pops up with being diagnosed with it as well, as I think I possibly might. but only on certain things like lighting, and reading.

lighting I say, because my father decided to opt for really low powered energy saving bulbs about 10 years ago, and I have found that I can't watch tv that well anymore while over there.

so be interesting to see if I am diagnosed with it!
donnaf
Power poster

Post by donnaf »

I know a kid with something called Pragmatic Dyspraxia, I'm not sure if they decided he has anything else as well as that in the end, but he finds coloured filters really help him, especially ones of a certain colour, yellow I think :)

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

yeah I was reading up about something simular on one of the web-sites, that yellow paper is supposed to help with reading, and writing, I think it is because white tends to like glare a bit too much for some Dyspraxic/Dyslexic people.

where as yellow is supposed to be a more natural colour, for the eyes to cope with.

I found haing my glasses tinted did help with school work (when in school), but then I started driving, and so can't wear tinted glasses, especially when driving at night.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I have Mears Irlen syndrome.... I have the tinted pages for reading... and settings for the backround coour on the PC but trying to get funding from the LEA for the glasses as the colour is different... also got to find someone near me who can do the eye test...
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

Jams what does OT stand for? is it Occupational Therepist?
James
Getting settled in

Post by James »

Yeah it's Occupational Therapist, sorry!

My parents are paying at the moment, I feel awful though - new glasses, tinted lenses, and private dyspraxia assessment is really really expensive. :(
quackstar84
Regular Poster

Post by quackstar84 »

Thank you for making us aware of this. =)
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

in college i have a pink filter and that helpswith reading as it stops these big annoying headaches i get. on my educational phys report itsays for tinted glasses have tried to get em but my doctor has no idea about them. i also get my exams on pink paper. i needa pink filter for my com screen but dunno where to get one from.

alot of them systoms sounds like me

where would u go to get tested?
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

You cn set the colour of your computer screen by doing the following:

Using windows XP:

1) Click on the start button, and open up the control panel.
2) From here select appearance and themes.
3) From the appearance and themes window, select display.
4) From the tabs at the top of the display properties window, select appearance, and click on advanced. From the drop-down item menu select window. Then open up the colour 1 palette by clicking on the small arrow.

Setting the colour:

1) Open the colour window by clicking on the other button.
2) All that is left is to input your red, green and blue settings into the appropriate boxes.

e.g My RGB values are: Red 144
Green 173
Blue 173

As I have been tested I have been given these values. But for pink you are going to have to play around with these values to see what colour you are most happy with...

3) Next, click Add to Customs Colours, and click on OK. If you are running windows Xp, you will have to click OK on more time.

4) All that is left to do now is Apply these changes and click OK until you are back at the beginning.

Your computer should now be set-up ready for you to use.

Adjusting Internet Explorer

1) Set up the background colour of your PC as described above.
2) Open internet explorer.
3) From the menu bar across the top, select Tools.
4) Then select Internet Options.
5) In the Internet Options window that pops-up, click on the button labelled Accessibility...
6) This opens another window. In this window, make sure that the check box marked Ignore colours specified on web pages is checked.
7) Click Ok to get out of the Accessibility... window.
8) Click Ok to get out of the Iternet Opions... window.

You should now be ready to search the internet, reading from your optimal colour background.

Hope this helps....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...