Do I have Dyspraxia/Motor skills issues?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tak88
New member - welcome them!

Do I have Dyspraxia/Motor skills issues?

Post by tak88 »

First of all, I don't even necessarily think I have dyspraxia...per se, but I'm starting to think I have some sort of motor skills problem. Also, before anyone suggests it, I am currently without ANY health insurance and cannot afford to go to a doctor or Occupational Therapist of any sort for a proper diagnosis, but I just want some input here first.

I'm 27 and recently lost my job at an animal shelter because my dog handling skills weren't up to par. This is humiliating because I am a certified dog trainer and have been around dogs and owned them and walked them since I was about 4. But the problem is that I'm just not good at manipulating the leashes and collars, getting the dogs to walk on one side of me, lassoing the dogs in cages, and controlling my body well enough to not move quickly or awkwardly to scare the fearful ones or set off dangerous ones. The worst part is...I KNOW how to do it. If you ask me how to do these things I'll explain it well, but I just struggle to actually do it. Often I would feel myself doing something wrong, and desperately try to do it right, but just fail, often feeling like I couldn't get my body to do what I wanted, or not being sure of where/what my body was doing. I very often feel (and have been told) that there is a disconnect between what I know and what I do.

This is the first time I've ever had a job or major activity where my body/being physical was necessary. I now realize this is because I had previously avoided activities that involved a lot of coordination, precision or skill with my gross or fine motor skills. I am terrible at and always avoided things like drawing/art past age 8, as well as music that involved moving my fingers along instruments, and using my pathetic excuse for rhythm. As a very little child it took me a long time (until 2nd grade) for me to tie my shoes and even put on socks, and master other activities like art and crafts that came easy to everyone else. Unless they were extremely simple, I avoided things other girls in my school did like hand games, oragami and cat's cradle because I was so bad at them and would be embarrassed. For the longest time I was even miserable at video games, unless the were 2D like SuperMario because I didn't have the coordination necessary. I am and have always been clumsy, as like to trip when I'm running or walking as when I'm standing. I sometimes have poor control over how hard I sit down and end up plopping, at least when I'm not concentrating on it. I have poor spacial judgement and depth perception and am not the best at parallel parking. My mother always joked that I "held things wrong" and I apparently have always held pens and silverware differently than most people do. Sometimes I have difficulty controlling the volume of my voice or keeping it at the volume I want. I often drop things or even struggle to pick things up (but that might be my bitten down nails). My first girlfriend said I was "Adorably bad at everything", something that now feels true and not so adorable. I've been making mistakes with almost everything in my life in the past year or so, even when I'm trying very hard. Previously this wasn't the case. I was always an A/B student, and got a lot of praise from teachers, employers and others in charge. I felt good at things. Now I feel like a complete failure and I don't know if these are all things of a very clumsy nature and unfortunate events or...something actually wrong.

But at the same time I saw a bunch of symptoms listed for these issues that I don't have. I am good at typing, speaking, interacting with others, and some other things. Does it sound like I have Dyspraxia or a motor skills problem? Are there any exact tests that can be done? (in the event I can afford one). Are there any exercises or anything I can do to get better at these issues? I'm just really depressed now and don't know what to do, and I'm also really scared I'll never be able to get a job with dogs like I want if I can't get control of this. And what's worse is this is my second choice career after I spent 3 years trying to get a job in a field I went to college and grad school for. :( Can anyone help me?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Do I have Dyspraxia/Motor skills issues?

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome

There are various questionnaires that can give you an indication about seeking further advice. The diffeence between knowing in theory and struggling with practical seems to be a common indicator. From reading your post I'm guessing you're not in the UK? However, you still may find the Dyspraxia Foundation's website a useful source of info.

I wouldn't lose all hope of a career with dogs as there are employers out there who are more patient and understanding of difference.

Hope this helps
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
tak88
New member - welcome them!

Post by tak88 »

Thank you, and yes I live in the US. I just looked up some tests and took some. They said I have moderate or low chances of having Dyspraxia. I guess I just don't know where to go from here.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I`m not really aware what help/support is available in the US. I believe the term DCD may be more commonly used.

One of the difficulties here is that people seem to think it is something you grow out of. That is mot really true per se though people are able to develop coping strategies to get by. Unfortunately change and other setbacks can sometimes render these obsolete which not unsurprisingly causes significant distress and anxiety which forms a vicious circle.

I've no doubt things seem bleak at present but you will get back on your feet. Try not to beat yourself up though I know it's difficult not to
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)