assessment from a psychologist

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

assessment from a psychologist

Post by ALADDIN »

See,

Most Psychologists will assess for cognitive profile with a WAIS-IV Test. If the verbal IQ is
significantly higher than the non-verbal IQ, Dyspraxia may be ‘indicated’. However the
WAIS-IV was not designed as a diagnostic tool for dyspraxia/DCD so the psychologist may
conduct additional tests and/or refer on to an Occupational Therapist for further
assessment. A psychologist cannot give a diagnosis without the input of a medical
professional.

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/w ... -20151.pdf

I was assessed by a psychologist, I has assessmentds for verbal-IQ, verbal comprehension, perceptual IQ, working memory, processing speed, perceptual organisation, fine motor coordination, visual-motor coordination & visual perception.

Is my diagnosis valid ?
brandonb1516
New member - welcome them!

Re: assessment from a psychologist

Post by brandonb1516 »

I'm in a very similar boat right now. My verbal iq is like 124 but my non verbal is like 94. It has been noted I have motor skill problems and I should see a occupational therapist, but no diagnosis was given. I have personally decided I am dyspraxic as I identify with the symptoms and it says in the report I have motor skill problems (but again I didn't get a diagnostic label). So I would say you probably are. I mean if you google "motor skill defict" or "motor skill difficulty" dyspraxia is the first thing that pops up. Also a few sites I found describe dyspraxia as:
"Dyspraxia is also known as Motor Learning Difficulties, Perceptuo-Motor Dysfunction, and Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD). The terms Minimal Brain Damage and Clumsy Child Syndrome are no longer used." So according to that if it says you have motor difficultes, you have dyspraxia. It definetly could be a good idea to make a appointment with a occupational therapist to get a more specific idea and help with your motor problems though (which is what I will be doing)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Re: assessment from a psychologist

Post by ALADDIN »

Welcome to the Forum !!!

My verbal IQ is slightly higher, my non-verbal-IQ is slightly lower. I was told I was a "clumsy boy " as a child, my mother knows I am clumsy. My visual-motor and fine motor, and my perceptual organisation score were all below average.

I have aspergers traits/borderline asperger syndrome. The diagnosis was non-standard. It consisted of a 10 minute chat with a cold-hearted psychiatrist, my mother has never said I have had problems socially, only problems caused by few friends as a child.

I do not want to pay money and see another professional. I find the whole process stressful.

The psychologist was good but not great, I did not feel I was treated like an individual.

I can use the diagnosis for employment, and there is some useful advice.

I was told, I definitely had dyspraxia. Despite, the diagnosis being done privately, it is on my NHS records.