So, am I technically Dyspraxic?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

brandonb1516
New member - welcome them!

So, am I technically Dyspraxic?

Post by brandonb1516 »

I went for a psycholgical evaluation and they said in my report that I had "motor skill difficulty" as well as visual spatial imparment and i should see a occupational therapist but no specfic diagnosis was given (so no DCD) so does this mean I am dyspraxic? Motor Skills have always been a huge problem and the symptoms seem to fit and I am not sure if I offically have it or not from my report.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: So, am I technically Dyspraxic?

Post by Tom fod »

Brandon

I suspect that the organisation/person who carried out the assessment are not qualified to confirm or rule out a diagnosis so the next step is to find and speak to an Occupational Therapist. (I'm not certain an OT can provide a formal diagnosis either but their professional opinion could count towards confirmation of diagnosis.)

You might wish to contact the Dyspraxia Foundation and/or your GP or ask the person/organisation who carried out the assessment.

Either way welcome to our community and please try not to let other people's or your own opinion of the idea of what a dyspraxic person can or can't do, necessarily hold you back.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
brandonb1516

Post by brandonb1516 »

Tom fod wrote:Brandon

I suspect that the organisation/person who carried out the assessment are not qualified to confirm or rule out a diagnosis so the next step is to find and speak to an Occupational Therapist. (I'm not certain an OT can provide a formal diagnosis either but their professional opinion could count towards confirmation of diagnosis.)

You might wish to contact the Dyspraxia Foundation and/or your GP or ask the person/organisation who carried out the assessment.

Either way welcome to our community and please try not to let other people's or your own opinion of the idea of what a dyspraxic person can or can't do, necessarily hold you back.
It was a psychologist who carried out the assessment and we are looking into getting occupational therapy. Motor skills as well as the concentration and thought problems associated with dyspraxia have been a problem my whole life and considering the psychologist reccommends i get occupational therapy i think it's clear i'm dyspraxic. Though the psychologist said in the report to "monitor for non verbal learning disorder"
MatStu51

Post by MatStu51 »

Hello Brandon. I agree, from what you've posted, that the report doesn't make it clear whether you have dyspraxia or not. I haven't seen my written report yet as the Christmas break has interrupted the process but go to visit the dyslexia advisory service to discuss the Ed Psych's findings in the New Year. She did state verbally that I have dyspraxia but I have no idea what her recommendations are aside from more time to complete assignments and exams at Uni and that I could access the DSA. I'm looking forward to the 5th January when I find out!

I'm hoping to be starting a series of Feldenkrais lessons to help me with my fine motor skill problems. They aren't severe but I figure that anything that helps makes new connections in my brain has to help me overall.

Good luck with your continuing search for a concrete diagnosis and help with it. Sheryl
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

brandonb1516 wrote: It was a psychologist who carried out the assessment and we are looking into getting occupational therapy. Motor skills as well as the concentration and thought problems associated with dyspraxia have been a problem my whole life and considering the psychologist reccommends i get occupational therapy i think it's clear i'm dyspraxic. Though the psychologist said in the report to "monitor for non verbal learning disorder"
Unfortunately It seems it can be quite tricky obtaining a formal diagnosis as an adult, though I'd still say you are making progress as there are plenty of people here who are still hoping to one day receive formal confirmation.

We don't make a distinction on the forum between those who are self declared and those who have a formal diagnosis either at school age or in adulthood.

I hope your efforts to obtain help from an occupational therapist prove fruitful. You may have to be persistent and it helps if you have a list of examples of the things that hold you back to take along to consultations.

@Sheryl (Matstu51)
Welcome also and thank you for contributing.

Would be good to learn a bit more about your experiences with Feldenkrais once you've had a couple of sessions as from a search I can see it's something that has not been mentioned here before.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)