professions of use

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dyspraxicyoungperson
Getting settled in

professions of use

Post by dyspraxicyoungperson »

:rolleyes:
hey !
so I have been diagnosed by an educational psychologist as dyslexic/dyspraxic, and after research and joining 'the dore program' I have been reading a few books,
from this I have a list of people who may help/know someone who can so here goes:
possibly a neurologist,
behavioural optometrist,
sound therapist,
occupational therapist,
excessive physiologist,
physiotherapist
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: professions of use

Post by Tom fod »

Not all of these ideas or disciplines are viewed as professions per se.
Please feel free to debate further, talk about your experiences if you have tried them.

Established professions
A Neurologist is a medical professional interested in the workings of and disorders of the nervous system.

An Occupational Therapist (OT) seeks to develop, recover, or maintain the daily living and work skills of those with a physical, mental, or cognitive disorder. Occupational therapists also focus much of their work on identifying and eliminating environmental barriers to independence and participation in daily activities.

Physiotherapist
Physiotherapy helps restore movement and function when someone is affected by injury, illness or disability. It takes a holistic approach that involves the patient directly in their own care.

Alternative/complementary

Behavioural Optometrist
Behavioral Optometry is a type of complementary and alternative medicine which encompasses a number of ideas and practices related to visual processes. In general, behavioral optometrists attempt to improve vision and well-being using eye exercises and lenses in ways which depart from conventional optometry. Therapists aim to treat a broad range of conditions including visual impairments, neurological disorders and learning disabilities. There is some debate about its effectiveness.

Sound Therapy is the idea that certain sounds can aid healing/promote wellbeing. However there is little doubt that relaxation is good.

Excessive Physiologist: No definition found

The Dore Programme is a paid for service that involves an individual programme of exercises that are claimed to help. There has been some debate into whether or not it is effective but we leave members to decide for themselves.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

As a biased commentator, I would like add that a certified sensory integration practitioner could help. He/she should also be a qualified occupational therapist, physiotherapist, psychologist or speech and language therapist..... also important to check professional bodies for OTs physiotherapists speech and language therapist it will be the HCPC to make sure they are registered, its illegal to practice without registration.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

You're doing yourself a disservice. You are an informed commentator. 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Thanks, need to work on my self belief!