Housing benifits?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KendalD95
New member - welcome them!

Housing benifits?

Post by KendalD95 »

On http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-adults/ there are 44 characteristics dyspraxia can give you.
I went through all the characteristics, and I came to the conclusion I only don't have about 8 of them...
I am also looking to move out the parents house this year or earlyish next year, and I am wondering if since I have about 36 problems because of dyspraxia if I could get any sort of housing benefits from the local council if I were to get a rent place from the local council through housing scheme thingy.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Housing benifits?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Kendal

Welcome to our community

I believe there are other factors that are applicable too
The severity/degree to which your dyspraxia affects your ability to perform day to day activities.
Your housing need over that of others i.e. are your parents or other factors making it difficult to continue living where you currently are?
Your current pay/hours.
Sadly I fear most local council housing officers (or is it being administered centrally now?) would give you a blank look if you mentioned you had dyspraxia.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
KendalD95
New member - welcome them!

Post by KendalD95 »

Haha, well they plan to move out of Shetland next year whilst I want to stay here as all my friends are here.
and how come they'd do that then? :P I take it they probably wont know of dyspraxia then?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Awareness of dyspraxia, whilst improved still has a way to go. I think the only way to find out is to speak to someone at the housing association and explain your circumstances and see what they say.

I must confess I don't know a lot since I'm in England and after living at home for years and paying a bit of board I was able to save enough to be able to put a deposit down and get a mortgage. Hope things work out for you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

Dyspraxia is unlikely to give you much of a priority.