Recently discovered I have dyspraxia, help?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chanelle98
New member - welcome them!

Recently discovered I have dyspraxia, help?

Post by Chanelle98 »

Hello,
I'm Chanelle. as a child I was diagnosed with a very rare condition. Due to this condition, I was informed I'd have some learning difficulties.
I struggle with anything practical. For instance, preparing a meal, I can't do, using cutlery, travelling from one destination to another, building furniture, my coordination, spilling drinks and so on.
I have struggled with this my whole life, and have only recently been diagnosed.
Is there any help available?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Recently discovered I have dyspraxia, help?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Chanelle

Welcome to our forums/community. I've moved your post for you, hope you don't mind. I've left a redirect in the Dyspraxia Chat section

Finding help can be a bit hit and miss. Have you spoken to your GP or the person who recently gave you a diagnosis? It seems/feels we're left entirely alone to work out what it means for ourselves. You aren't alone and the following thread may be of interest to you http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =14&t=4645

The Dyspraxia Foundation run a helpline, Tel 01462 454986 (Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm) or you can email them. Details on their website. http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk.

Hope this and the site are helpful for you.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
DanTheOutlaw
Getting settled in

Post by DanTheOutlaw »

We're very unlucky to have this condition, it effects so many areas of your life.

Good luck and sorry about the bad news.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

You may want to take a look at the sensory integration network, I would advocate Sensory integration therapy if you can afford it and find a suitably qualified and experienced therapist... if not ironically movement activities like horse riding ( you may be able to sneak in with riding for disabled) swimming, walking , cycling if you can ride a bicycle may also help!
anna888
New member - welcome them!

Post by anna888 »

Hi there,

I am new on here. Brief summary of my life :)

I am 29 and female. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and severe depression aged 25. The depression has improved ( I'm on antidepressants) and I think it was circumstantial. I have been undergoing group psychotherapy for the last three years. I have had a difficult life since aged ten as my mother has out of control mental health problems ( possibly bipolar and or schizophrenia). So I have been working through the trauma of this and the associated anxiety symptoms. I also had to leave a PHD in English Literaure which I was three years through when I had this nervous breakdown.

Since then I have recently go my first real job. I became a piano teacher aged sixteen as a part time job and otherwise clung to staying in education for fear of the working world and the 9to 5. I am still on sick pay but after mentoring I got a part time job taking notes for adults with dyslexia. Through reading about it I eat about dyspraxia, took it into my dad and thought, that's me! I'm now wandering is it is another reason I have had trouble getting a job. I have had great trouble with my short term memory since my breakdown but am now thinking, if I already have anxiety and it's got doubled up with post traumatic stress type reaction would this make it much worse? Does anyone know? I am interrupting people dos I can't keep my thoughts before they feel like they will disappear. I have all the clumsy things too, which I always knew, I just didn't know there was a name for it.

I have been encouraged to bring this up at my psychotherapy from next week. I would also love to go to and occupational therapist if I can get one, to help me with processing and following instructions and cooking etc as I can't multitask and I get very tired and frustrated a lot. Any help, especially about an overlap with mental health issues and being undiagnosed for s long time, would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling quite overwhelmed and emotional since 'discovering' this suspicion,