getting an assessment for dypraxia and help into work etc.

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

megevans 321
New member - welcome them!

getting an assessment for dypraxia and help into work etc.

Post by megevans 321 »

Hello there, my name is Megan Evans i'm 18 years of age and I'm currently unemployed I was previously working as a lunch cover assistant in a nursery but due to stress because of what I believe to be 'dyspraxia' I left. I'm currently battling to get an assessment for my Dyspraxia. Everyone I have spoken to ( dypraxia professionals etc) say I should go through the ruit of going to my GP to get an assessment this has proved a very difficult task as he believes there is no help out there for me as I am now an adult and not in full time education anymore. However my mum is backing me up as she believes I've had dyspraxia all my life and we are going back to the doctors to push for an assessment. Does anyone know if an occupational therapist is who I need to see to get a good diagnoses or would it be someone else?? I feel by having a proper diagnoses this may help for when I go up to the job centre soon as they will take me more seriously in there. I also suffer with anxiety dyslexia and discalculia. I want to know if there's any help out there for people with the dyspraxia condition with finding the right kind of work that will be easy enough for me to do and that I'll be able stay happy in. I dont want to set myself up for another fail and get into a job I have to leave because of the problems my dyspraxia causes me. I would also like to know if I would be entitled to DLA or PIP or some kind of extra benefit I've gone down the ruit of applying for JSA first of all then hoping my work coach will be able to help me with support because of all my education problems and my dyspraxia. Any help from anyone suffering from dyspraxia or in a similar situation to myself would be very much appreciated. My reasons I clearly suffer from dypraxia I will post after this.
megevans 321

Re: getting an assessment for dypraxia and help into work et

Post by megevans 321 »

Can't file and organise paperwork.

Find cutting food with a knife and cutting things with scissors difficult.

Buttons are a difficulty for me and shoe laces (only learnt to tie a shoe lace at 16) unlocking padlocks, door locks etc - unable to do without assistants. 
unable to do craft activities e.g. sewing.

struggle to use equipment e.g. technical equipment, household equipment, kitchen appliances. I have limited ability on a computer. Unable to do any DIY activities.

I am uncomfortable in social situations. Over sensitive to loud noises e.g. fireworks and busy and loud environments e.g. partys, shopping malls, train stations, airports, supermarkets and concerts. In my last job when the children were all playing with loud instruments I would feel anxious and disorientated.

I struggle to follow verbal instructions.

Find it difficult following telephone numbers.

I find it hard to follow deadlines e.g. in a work environment and to complete tasks. I need extra time to complete tasks that others can complete quicker then me.

I have a lot of difficulty's with focusing as I have a short attention span and get easily distracted.

I am always losing things.

I muddle up my left and my right.

I have directional difficulties and I cannot get public transport as I can't read timetables etc. I get extremely stressed and confused and therefore have to rely on others for transport.

I am not independent and due to this I rely heavily on family etc to assist me with daily practical tasks etc.

If I feel I am under too many stresses, pressures or expectations from others I suffer with emotional outbursts, panic attacks, breakdowns and compulsions e.g. I note take to an extreme.

I do not like ANY changes or unpredictable situations.

I have problems with teamwork as not as fast as others.

Can't relay information to others very well as struggle to remember what I was supposed to say.

Find it difficult to read some things so need extra time and a reader for paper work etc.

Conflict between work colleagues e.g. when I have been told to complete a task I don't understand fellow work colleagues can become irritable and non understanding it appears as though they think I'm 'being lazy' etc.

I suffer with nausea and headaches when I'm too stressed. I also get tired quite easily as my brain is having to work doubly as fast to intake information and follow instructions etc compared to the 'average brain'.

I have a lack of comprehension when reading I also need a finger or marker to keep my place whilst reading.

I regularly spill things e.g. a cup with a drink in (this would happen quite often in my previous job.)

Cannot follow a simple recipe for preparing a meal as I am unable to comprehend the instructions. 

Can't do sums in my head e.g. struggle with numbers with zeros e.g. 10, 100, 1000. I cannot handle money e.g. paying for things in a shop.

Find it difficult to catch a ball I have experienced this problem from a young age. I find any sports activities impossible due to not being able to remember game rules and having a lack of rhythm.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Megan

Welcome to our community.

When you go to your GP take as much info about dyspraxia as you can and be polite and persistent. I believe an OT would be a good option so ask that they refer you to one.

You could also try contacting the Dyspraxia Foundation either by email or their helpline. You could also ask to be referred to the DWP/Employment Service Disability Employment Advisor (DEA). Organisations like the Shaw Trust may also be worth approaching.

Your list of the things you struggle could also be useful to keep hold of to help in making a PIP claim. Worth asking your GP about this too. I hope you find some support to help you develop your own coping strategies and gain confidence to start taking forward steps. Please have a good look at people's posts here too.

Any specific questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
megevans 321

Post by megevans 321 »

Hi Tom, thank you for all your helpful info :) I have printed off all the things I struggle at due to my dyspraxia to hand to my doctor to have a look at so he can hopefully refer me to an OT. And would a DEA be available to me at a Job Centre Plus? As I am going to my local one this Monday so talking to someone there would be very helpful! I will check the shaw trust too thanks! I will also try getting a PIP claim not too sure wether to go through my doctor for that or push for it at the job centre? Hopefully everything will all come together soon enough though and thankyou again for your helpful response much appreciated. :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Megan

You're welcome.

For more info on PIP try https://www.gov.uk/pip/overview. Your GP surgery Local Council may be able to put you in touch with organisations who can guide you through the claims process. It talks about an assessment by an independent health professional (not sure what they mean there but suspect a private firm or a different GP practise in your area).

I'm out of date (and wouldn't know where my local job centre is now). Job Centre Plus should know about DEA's and Access to Work. You may need to be very polite and persistent.

Once you're ready look for work, try to look again at your difficulties list to look for ideas about where with the right help, assistance you can find ways to develop some personal coping strategies to work around some of the troubles you have.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
megevans 321

Post by megevans 321 »

Hi Tom, thank you for all your kind help, I will take all of this on board and look into PIP etc! Hopefully I will eventually find the right job for me etc! Thank you again, Megan :)
megevans 321

Post by megevans 321 »

Hi Tom just thought I'd update you on my sisituation! :)..after another trip to my GP I have finally had some good news I'm very happy because my GP has contacted a local adult disability service and made a referral for me to have my Dyspraxia assessment with them! :) I feel I am now getting somewhere luckily. And if i was to go through the service privately the assessment alone would cost £500! Hopefully the disability service will be able to help with my diagnoses. Otherwise I may consider the Time to Talk counselling route that my doctor suggested as a last resort for whatever reason. I am now signed on with JSA too and going back this Tuesday I may receive PIP too. They are going to find out my strengths and weaknesses next week too , to see which job will best suit me to get into! :) I'll continue to keep you updated thankyou for all your help. Megan. :)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: getting an assessment for dypraxia and help into work etc.

Post by Tom fod »

Meg

You're always welcome. (and sorry for delay in responding)

Hope things start to improve and you can begin to feel happier and in more control.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Nadcam21

Post by Nadcam21 »

I dropped out of my last year of uni due to dyspraxia discovery and being pregnant.

I got assessed via the uni external assessor however I’ve been told that this assessment is not valid.

What do I’d do now?
Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton »

Assessment and Diagnosis is perennialy difficult for us.

Why is an Assessment necessary now, who is rejecting the College one and whereabouts in the world are you located please?.

Remember, that the Dyspraxia Foundation have various ways of giving support, have you explored their website?

Also what age are you now?