Could therapy for dyspraxia help with these things

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sandwiches5000
Getting settled in

Could therapy for dyspraxia help with these things

Post by sandwiches5000 »

Hi there. I have not been diagnosed with dyspraxia but I recently got re-assessed for ADHD for an exam and based on what I've read in terms of the diagnostic criteria, I am pretty sure I have it. I was going to just move on and forget about it since I already get accommodations for tests for having ADHD.

Yesterday, I had to watch a video of myself arguing for class (I'm a law student). I realized how I have trouble enunciating my words (something my mom always yelled at me about) and how I stand/move my body awkwardly at times. I have known this for a long time but just attributed these things to my own awkwardness. However, I would really like to get some sort of training or therapy to get better at these things, as it is relevant to my career... Is this a form of therapy that is offered for people with dypraxia? I seriously don't know anything about this because it's not well known where I live. Also, I have had a lot of trouble with a fork and knife my whole life and at business dinners I can only order a few items and barely eat anything because I'm so embarrassed/nervous that I will eat sloppily. Is this something I could get help with if I were to be diagnosed?

All of these things are equally bad on my medication/off, so I don't think it's my ADHD.

Just trying to see if it's worth getting a diagnosis since I'm almost done with school.

Thanks.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Could therapy for dyspraxia help with these things

Post by Tom fod »

Hi

It may be easier to look at seeking help for these things based on the fact that you feel they are holding you back personally and professionally. If there is a Dyspraxia/DCD Foundation or support organisation in the U.S . they might be able to advise you on what dyspraxia specific help there is and how and where to find it. It may be easier to separately seek speech therapy/elocution lessons for help with speaking. With regard to postural issues maybe classes in yoga pilates or tai chi, looking for a good teacher/supportive group.

I don't remember ever receiving any specific advice or help on how one should politely tackle dinner in a formal setting. I do find myself feeling self conscious too and tend to steer clear of things that I know through experience are tricky to eat, unshelled prawns and various other fruits de mer (Should that more properly be 'de mare' as in nightmarish?) My parents are older and probably did receive lessons in 'this is the fish knife' but if they (or anyone else) tried to teach me, I don't recall it and guess they likely gave up. I have my own unique style! Is there anyone you know who could offer some tips and advice. I guess one important thing is to avoid being hurried. I've been to Wagamamas a few times but I know I'm hopeless with chopsticks.

Please don't be afraid to ask for advice and help to help you feel less awkward and self conscious.

In Britain most help seems to be focused on people of school age but it seems that once they leave full time education they're on their own and are usually left to try and find their own path as best they can.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
sandwiches5000
Getting settled in

Post by sandwiches5000 »

Thank you for the feedback. It's interesting that they don't have more support for dyspraxic adults with daily living things, since I feel like they have such things for adults with ADHD (in the U.S. at least). I have to second the seafood thing, though. I almost died when I went to a lobster dinner but thankfully the partner who invited us to eat was super into opening the lobster for everyone. I normally refuse to order anything that I need to open or maneuver.

Oh well, at least I'm not trying to be a surgeon. That would be a disaster.
sandwiches5000
Getting settled in

Post by sandwiches5000 »

Oh- also... Just out of sheer curiosity/desire to seek out for solidarity's sake: was anyone picked on as a kid for the way they did things in gym class? I just remembered how even in high school I was told I run "like a duck." I was made fun of a lot in 9th grade for the way I do push-ups too... Haha. Whoops. I probably still run in a funny way, but I've tried to concentrate on my posture more and the way my legs are moving. Plus, I don't care what people say anymore. :cool: