struggling with new job, think I may have dyspraxia

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

purplepenguin
New member - welcome them!

struggling with new job, think I may have dyspraxia

Post by purplepenguin »

Hi guys
I am new to the forum. I have been looking at lots of info about dyspraxia recently as I am really struggling and work and think I may have dyspraxia. I am a newly qualified teacher (age 25) and I am doing badly in my first job. I find it very hard to organise in every way: the kids, resources, the classroom, my time. I am working constantly but my head says she is not seeing the results. I have always had problems with organising myself and always worked right up to the deadline at uni, struggle with filing and locating information. I have always been mildy clumsy and have struggled with fine motor skills such as using a cork screw, but non of these things have affected my life singificantly and I have always been able to get by. I have always thoguht of myslef as having bad visual skills, bad sense of direction, but good auditory skills. It's only now that I am having difficulties that I have thought back to all of these things from the past and put them together. They have never been a major issue before (apart from annoying my bofriend) but stress and a busy schedule seem to be making things worse. The problem at the moment is that I don't know if I do have dyspraxia and if I mention it at school they will think I am making excuses for my poor performance.
Thanks for reading. Advice from others who have had experienced similar would be useful :)
screengreen
Power poster

Re: struggling with new job, think I may have dyspraxia

Post by screengreen »

Can you afford a private assessment? If so I would organise an assessment at a weekend or in school holidays. Psychologists are usually good people to go to ( but be sure to check out their experience of working with adults with learning difficulties and recommending work place needs adjustments) or you could try the OT company dyspraxia UK but again ask about success stories! I have heard good things about David Grant and Brian Haycom but others may be able to give personal recommendations. Once you have a formal diagnosis of something you will be eligible fir reasonable adjustments and can apply for access to work. Good luck
simon_shaw
New member - welcome them!

Re: struggling with new job, think I may have dyspraxia

Post by simon_shaw »

Yes we have all been there. Organizing myself was my worest nightmare. I always put off anything to do with organisation as I am so bad at it. Organising my thoughts on paper was hopeless. All I can say is go and be tested - find a good assessor and make a point of finding some extra pennies to buy some resources - I have a bad memory for reading and now I have lots of IT help, text to speech which helps me enormously. Try Gantt charts - they will organise you. Good luck Simon.