Adult dyspraxic?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

george
New member - welcome them!

Adult dyspraxic?

Post by george »

Hi,
I am in my 40s and a teacher in a school for children with severe learning difficulties. I was recently talking to another teacher at school about my clumsiness, lack of balance, disorganisation and inability to cook. We were laughing about some of the accidents I have had when she said it sounds as if I have dyspraxia. This is a condition I have come across in my own pupils before but had never considered it as relating to me.
I am very clumsy and accident prone, I walk through doorways but often hit the frame or door handle; I walk along corridors and bang my fingers on the walls; am disorganised, flitting from task to task and find it hard to complete one job before being distracted by another; stand with my knees locked and feel odd if I try to stand with loose knees; often bump into people I'm walking next to; have been treated for anxiety issues using cognitive behaviour therapy which gave me coping strategies; can't type correctly and have had to go back and correct most of this! I have poor posture and am aware that I sit slumped and have to consciously adjust myself; if I stand still for a while I lose balance and often trip over on uneven floor surfaces or when surfaces change. I have always been very untidy and disorganised (my school locker would burst open suddenly with all the stuff in it and my current handbag is a 30 litre rucksack and it's full of junk). I can't cook, I try really hard to produce edible meals but forget some of the ingredients or time things wrong or burn things. We eat food from boxes and frozen stuff unless my husband cooks.
However, I didn't have problems at school other than being absolutely rubbish at PE and sports and always being one of the last to be chosen to be on a team. I have lots of O levels and A levels and completed a degree with no problem. I am very good at spelling but forget numbers (like my PIN and the code to get into the school!) very easily. I always seemed to be different whilst at school especially during infants and juniors.
I work with children with ASD and have noticed that I have a few of the same problems- I have to remind myself to ask others about themselves, I'm not being very good at conversation unless it's about me! I don't like people around me to be ill or sad so ignore it rather than ask how they are. I have interests that engross me for a while but then I lose interest and move on to something else.
Does this sound like dyspraxia? I see no need to get an official diagnosis as I've lived with myself being a bit weird all this time and am coping OK. However, it would be nice to be able to have a reason for it rather than just knowing that I am different but not knowing why. i would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
Thank you.
Ram
Power poster

Re: Adult dyspraxic?

Post by Ram »

I am no psychologist, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt.

However, from what you say about yourself, it does sound rather likely that you have dyspraxia. I certainly have the vast majority of the symptoms that you say about yourself.

I can understand you not wanting to pay for a professional assessment since you have accepted your limits, seem to be getting on with life quite well. It certainly hasn't affected your career.

I'm not actually sure which professional is able to diagnose dyspraxia, but someone out there probably has the answer to that one.

I did get assessed by an educational psychologist a few years back because I had been through years of occupational and to some extent educational frustration . She said that as an educational psychologist, she was not qualified to give a diagnosis. What she did tell me, though, was that it was likely that I had dyspraxia. Actually what she said isn't much different from what I've said about you, although of course, her opinion carries more weight than anything I can say on the matter.

Anyway, I hope this sheds at least some light on the matter.
george

Post by george »

Thank you! It is good to know that there's a possible reason for my slight oddness!! Ever since school I have known there was something different about me which sounds a bit pompous but isn't meant that way. I kept waiting for someone to say Oh yes you have ..... which would explain things better. Of course, no one ever did!
I only have mild problems such as my clumsiness and loosing or dropping things or forgetting words and names which I make into a joke and everyone laughs about but it is a relief to know there's a possible reason for my very disorganised, crazy and muddled way of doing things!
Thanks again :)
Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram »

Glad to be of some help.

Anyway, it sounds as if you've done a sterling job of dealing with your dyspraxia (if that is what you really have).
purplepenguin

Post by purplepenguin »

Sounds a lot like me and have also recently started to think that I have dyspraxia. I am also a teacher (NQT) but am struggling partly due to my problems with organisation. Although I know this isn't a problem for you, it's nice to know that other people have the same feeling of being 'different' and not knowing why.