Possible dypraxia/struggles at work

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fordinand
Getting settled in

Possible dypraxia/struggles at work

Post by Fordinand »

So I think I might have dyspraxia. I was going to be assessed on it during college, but the person never got back in touch with me and me being me who was very unconfident with low self esteem, I didn't chase him up. So I've missed out completely. He said if I do have it, it's probably minor however.

One of my concerns is work. I'm one out of two of the most positive people there. Everyone has the tendency to be grouchy, or they moan a lot, it's everyone else's fault etc so they're not easy to face when you've done something that isn't your fault. I forget a lot at work, I'm physically slower than everyone else, I'm mentally slower than everyone else, everyone focuses on cleaning whereas I hate it, I'm poor with time, I have trouble explaining things that I feel are important. My words become jumbled and slurred or I miss parts of words (when talking with older people, I work with pre-schoolers and I'm great at talking to them!) I also talk too much and go off topic. I'm severely unorganised too.

It's hard as I'm overlooked when I have ideas. Blamed for things that I can't help, like forgetting things or not cleaning as much (or taking too long when I do!) Or when doing messy play I'd selectively have 2 children at a time and then someone will invite more because the children want to have a go and it really throws me off.

Once when it was home time, I wanted to change my shoes as the ones I was wearing would get drenched in the rain, I felt so pressured to tie my laces it was like I had forgotten how :/ I could feel myself going red!
Another time I'd opened the gate to let someone in and I'd put the keys down, a minute later I'd forgotten all about them, I went off to do something and the person asked me if I still had them. I told her where I think I'd left them and instead of looking there she shouted to the whole room asking if anyone had seen her keys, I looked in the place I mentioned to her and they were still there. When I gave them back she looked irritated, but I couldn't help it. Of course now, I always give them to her even if the bell does go off 2000 times in an hour. It's better than being blamed for something that I can't help.

There are more reasons why I feel as though I have it but those are my work struggles that happen to be more frequent since I work a lot!

I just wish that people understood that I can't help some things. They know my memory isn't great and that I'm slow but I think having a name to it would take the blame away a bit. I'm always trying to do well so it's frustrating.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Possible dypraxia/struggles at work

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Ria

Welcome to the forums (or fora)

I think you need to speak to someone about your difficulties/concerns about your perfomance. Take what you've written here as a starting point for the discussion.
Has the person you report to raised any issues or is it a case of your 'failings' being primarily a personal worry?

Is there a trusted colleague who might bet able to offer you any reassurance or provide some coaching to help you increase your confidence in carrying out your responsibilities?

As far as your suggestions being ignored is there anyone who has a more sympathetic ear and might be able to help you fine tune them for greater impact/benefit?

A formal diagnosis can be useful but is not necessarily essential. Your employer has a duty of care to you and should be looking to help you develop in your role.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Fordinand
Getting settled in

Re: Possible dypraxia/struggles at work

Post by Fordinand »

Well my manager isn't to pleased that some things haven't been done on time or at all (not the worst things) then our weekly planning, I sometimes miss and end up doing it at the last minute or missing it completely. Most of it I guess are my struggles, e.g. Upon writing up planning for each child that I'm responsible for we now have to write what we've planned in their folders as well and elaborate on what we're looking to gain from it. I never do it, it's too much work on top of actually finding the time to write up the planning on time which I just about do.

It's not so easy talking to my manager as her listening skills aren't the best. A lot of the times I'd speak to her and she'd still be watching the computer screen. It's a little off putting. It's not easy to ask for her attention either since my self esteem and confidence in that area isn't great.

The person only person I feel that I could talk to, I'm helping her with 'her' issues. I'm her mentor and she's in bad light at work at the moment so her helping me doesn't feel like the easiest of things. But I guess we could work together? We could create goals and help each other to meet them.

One of our recent members of staff is quite passionate so I could talk to her. We should have 2 more members of staff starting today so hopefully they're positive and mature. They're in there 30's so that might be good. Hopefully they don't get caught up in the negativity.

I could try to mention my struggles with my manager, maybe in our next one to one, not sure when that will be but hopefully soon. My last one to one was rushed though, and someone else was in the room when I mentioned that I wanted to do it privately. I just want people to know that I can't help particular things so that they respond more understandably when they happen.

I'll think of methods that will help my memory and issues at home such as organisation, mood etc. I want to try and make a daily routine for myself when I'm at home, one that can hopefully match the days that I'm at work too e.g. Lunch at 1:15 etc

I think I went a little off topic but I'm not sure ha but hopefully you'll bare with me :rolleyes: