social skills

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lumic
Power poster

social skills

Post by Lumic »

i have been assesed i have dyspraxia i have help in college tips, motivation things ,extra time in exams, a note taker etc etc

what i mainly struggle with now is social skills (dont say the right tone of voice, dont know how to react to cetain situations so i dont say anything at all which then people assume i am in a mood but am not its cos i dont know how to react so better to be silent in my head.apparently am hard to talk to as i dont see what people are saying etc etc) i really dont seem to have any my question is is there any where i can go that would help for adults that is.do i go to the GP and aask , i wouldnt know what to ask for.

i jus seem so down at the moment and jus wanna curl up and sleep forever than face people. think its time i did something

my son who's jus been diagnosed as dyspraxic is going to see a OT, Physo, speech therispist and behaviroarl person all in a bid to help him etc with life, social interaction, school work balance and co ordination.

is there any thing for me or am i too late. i feel like i need help or iam destined for a life on my own surfing the net, and thats not me i like inteacting with others plus dont wanna loose the bf but theres only so much he can take (we have split numerous times due to my behaviour being very irractic and lack of social skills)
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
GiantHam
Getting settled in

Post by GiantHam »

I have heard of a kind of therapy that psychologists use to help people who are social phobics. I am not sure what it is called but basically you just practice what you want to say, and strategy's to handle certain situations. I think congnitive(I think I spelled that right) psychologists do this kind of work.

As for your bf I would suggest couples counciling. My dad might of dyspraxia, and he suffers from severe depression, but thanks to counciling my parents have managed to stick together for 30 yrs and counting.
How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensation and my state of mind?
Douglas Adams
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I only think councilling is good if you are not able to express yourself though, and with dyspraxia I find it harder to meet new people, so to tell a complete stranger things is next to impossible.

I think in a way it is easier if you just tried explaining how you feel at times, as after all he isn't a mind reader.

and you are in amongst a good group here, so you don't need to panic on that front, plus Dan is on about us all meeting up somewhere in the UK, so that we can put face's to names!!

sorry not much help with the advice bit, because the system has let me down since birth! so I don't know who or where to turn to, and basically been taking things at my own pace through life, and s***f the world if they don't like it basically.
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

NO POINT NOW for socai,l skills the bf has left me saying that he know i have troble expersseing myself propperely but he cant do this no more so were over i have no fiends jus ffel like culing into a ball and never wking up god bless stella and wine
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Sorry to hear about your bf leaving.... I went though a similiar problem to what you are experiencing now... Keep your chin up.... If you bf was not right for you, it may be for the best that you have gone your separate ways. It makes you feel like crap for a while. Things do improve.... think of all the things you can do to pamper youself... that you can't do with a bf in tow!!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

sorry to hear about the bf #-o, what you should say to yourself is you are too good for him!

and as for not having friends, then I think you are wrong on that front, because you have got friends right here! =D>

we can be as friendly as you want us to be, as understanding, and play the :-({|= as badly as you want!!

Mike
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I'm not backing up the violin comment, I can't play an instrument for toffee, but otherwise it's all good.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's too late for you. Unless you've got some terminal illness that means you're going to die tomorrow you've got plenty of time to find one of the other 6 billion people in the world to be with, it ain't all over with one person. If you have got the illness, well, you can do a lot in 24 hours anyways :P

No giving up. I'm sure that's banned on the forum rules somewhere.
robyn

Post by robyn »

cognative behavioural therapy would be of help. it looks at your underlying thought patterens as you do every day things and analyses how these affect the out comes of your attempts, and how to modify them to improove. It works for pretty much everything, eating disorders, self harm, motivations probs, social phobias, and how to approach new situations and challenges. You be best to research it first to know more before asking your dr though cause youd need to beable to arguae a good case on how your social skills are limiting your quaility of life and how cbt is the best thing for them, if thats what you decide to try. it works remarkabley quickly also
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

thanks for help guys am off to the dtrs todayat 4.40pm to ask for everything and anything that will help, time something is done i want to sort myself out
Lumic
Power poster

Post by Lumic »

jus got back from the dtrs and he has refered me to a phycaritrist as he thinks i have bipolar aswell so hes given me some medication to see how i go. he says the irracte behaviour is prob to do with bipolar