Need help think i might have dyspraixa

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

maddi_87
New member - welcome them!

Need help think i might have dyspraixa

Post by maddi_87 »

Hello is it possible to have a mild form of dyspraixa that effects more your speech, language, perception, learning thoughts, memory and emotional behaviour without really displaying any of the other common dyspraixa sings such as gross motor and fine motor skills?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Need help think i might have dyspraixa

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Maddi

Welcome to the forums (or fora).

The answer is yes. People are affected in a infinite number of different ways and to varying degrees of severity. How you cope can also vary due to a number of other factors like tiredness and even mood.

Some of us have over time developed coping strategies and are far more able to appear 'normal' (whatever that is). We can and do achieve beyond expectations, it's a case of putting in additional practice/effort with some things

Unfortunately access to help is patchy and even more so for adults. It's worth asking your GP as a start or if you're at Uni the student welfare/disability support people as they in theory should be able to tell you more and may act as gateway to support services and might also cover at least part of the cost of an assessment if that's deemed appropriate.

Some people have verbal dyspraxia and I imagine if it meets NHS severity threshold you might be able to get some speech therapy which might help. Equally relaxation techniques may also help though I must admit I'm not good at relaxing myself.

Equally finding this site and no longer feeling so alone can also be a great weight off. It was for me!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)