Help please

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lucyletitia
New member - welcome them!

Help please

Post by Lucyletitia »

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice as I would like to discuss dyspraxia symptoms with my GP.

I am a 23 year old female, I went college with a girl who said she had dyspraxia, never knew much about it. Until recently I was doing some diagnostic tests for Maths and English. I have a level 1 at maths and nothing has ever changed yet at school I was 2 years advanced at reading in English. I was looking up stuff on the Internet, dyscalula came up then dyspraxia appeared. I came across the symptoms and it literally matches my life.

I am very talkative and chatty I am the person who goes 'on and on', however I find it quite hard explaining things to people and often get responses that I am not understood. The context can come out in the wrong way or sentences a mess. So I would like some advice on how to speak to my doctor (NHS) and how it follows on from there.

I am also a part time college student, can college help me with any of this?

As a child some teachers would call me stupid, yet I would remember things very well. I am very clumsy this often gets fobbed off that I am left handed however I can't open things like tins. Technical things frustrate me and I find it very hard to concentrate. I cannot do dance lessons the whole thing confuses me. I have suffered anxiety since a child before anything tragic happened in my life, I couldn't go to a shop counter or get on a bus to this day I don't like walking alone on a busy road. The oddest thing about me is I hate people hearing me sing and I don't like other people listening to songs I like. It makes me feel so uncomfortable. It's very strange. I don't like strangers having physical contact with me even if its a sympathetic hug or a arm stroke.

I have had a dozen jobs, I can't seem to hold anything down, the job is either very easy but very boring or it's too hard and complexed (former administrator) and I take too long on basic tasks. I don't understand it seems normal to me. Sometimes I have to adapt processes to my own way. After a day at work I will feel extremely tired and struggle to get up, I've had sleeping issues all my life since a toddler.

I hate surprises or sometimes Christmas I am better now than in my teens but I would get very upset and would not cry not because I didn't like them because I suppose it's not familiar and I don't like fuss or being in the spotlight. I literally could not control my emotions.

I also experienced abuse in my late teens early adulthood.

Please help me, this will solve a lot of issues I've underwent in my life.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Help please

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Lucy

Welcome to the forums (or fora)

Unfortunately it's impossible to predict how easy or difficult it will be for you to get formal recognition. It tends to depend on a lot of things including how clued up and able your GP practice is in navigating through and accessing the available NHS services in your region. That said I maybe completely wrong and painting this far too bleakly.

Please do not let me or anyone else me dissuade you from trying. Take some printed info with you and provide examples/details of the 'normal' day to day activities you struggle with. What you've written for this post is a great start whether you use it all or an edited version is up to you.

It is very much worth asking your college too. Also you could contact Key4Learning and/or the Dyspraxia Foundation. Feel free to also have a good read of the many and varied posts on topics here and consider yourself among friends here.

Hope this helps a little. You've been through a lot and I hope you find the help you need.

All the best and do let us know how you get on.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Re: Help please

Post by screengreen »

Hi Lucy,
If its affecting your college work it may be easier to try via college ask about there special needs department/provision it can help if tu have completed a check list for dyspraxia/dyslexia/dyscalculia etc. Then they may refer you to an ed psychologist not sure if it will be easy though. My diagnosis was via a private psychologist.