DLA

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

williamsuk
Getting settled in

DLA

Post by williamsuk »

i'm wondering if anyone knows if we are eligible for disability living allowance..or any other benefits? I find working difficult because of my quirkiness, never feeling 'in the loop', social isolation and practically from the point of view of poor memory, clumsiness, organisation of record keeping and tiredness. I find the need to be there very stressful at times. Also I was going to apply for carers allowance for my son but I think you have to be earning less than £100 p.w is this true? sali x
Creative
Super poster

Re: DLA

Post by Creative »

I get DLA. All the benefits are changing at the moment though so you might have difficultly getting it. It's now changing it's name to something like Personal Independance Payment. Good luck.
williamsuk
Getting settled in

Post by williamsuk »

thanks for your reply x
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

As far as DLA goes, then it is only those already getting it will continue to for the next few years. but new claiments will automatically have to claim PIP.

as for DLA then I am on it for myself, as for the Dyspraxic side being really bad, and other things ontop.
TCE
Getting settled in

Post by TCE »

I currently get low rate DLA, I used to get medium rate, all through my childhood and teens but obviously they think it's developmental, so I had to fight hard just to get the low rate this time. This is again all changing, so I don't think I'll get any next year when they reassess me unfortunately.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

When you are reassessed I would ask for an Occupational therapy assessment, the new work fitness assessments are absolute rubbish! I like the idea but to do them properly would cost money.... I like that people are assessed and offered strategies to help them to work and graded into it but not the simplistic assessments that are being done. If you can't get an OT assessment try and get support of a health professional as their support may really help... good luck!
sasha2014
New member - welcome them!

Post by sasha2014 »

hi guys
are any of you on medication for your condion
i also suffer with dyspraxia but im not on any meds
im also thinking about claiming for pip
but i live with my partner
who works full time
am i entitled to it do you think
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Sadly there is no dyspraxia specific medication out there. People may be on medication for other conditions that might or might not be directly or indirectly related to the fact that they have dyspraxia. There is not much understanding so it's better to talk about your individual difficulties and the way they affect your quality of life, rather than 'confuse' your doctor by saying "Please can I have medication/treatment for my dyspraxia?"

It's very much down to the assessment of an individuals difficulties in performing 'normal' day to day activities that 'informs' the decision on whether they qualify for a PIP. I'm sorry I'm not aware as to whether it's means tested. Your GP, Citizens Advice or other help point should be better able to inform you if you should try to make a claim. I very much suspect it is standard practice for many claims to be refused on first application, so be prepared to appeal the decision if applicable.

Try to make the it the case that your dyspraxia suffers with you, rather than you having to suffer with it.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
FiloZofo
Getting settled in

Post by FiloZofo »

From what I've read, you can only get DLA is it profoundly affects your day to day activities/ work, such as being blind, deaf, unable to walk, unable to get dressed or go to to toilet independently, limbless, et cetera.
I could be wrong however, but when I looked into it about 6 months ago, that was the system.

With regard to some of those things you mention, if your doctor is understanding and you still want to look for work, you can get a sick note which the JobCentre will accept, which says you can only apply for work with reduced hours (which depending on where you live is like DLA as you may never find a job so long as the limit to the sick note). Sick notes last for a month usually, before they need to be renewed.

I last signed on in October, and the last 2 weeks I was on JSA, my claimant commitment was changed to take into account the reduced hours from my doctor. I had 4 hours max a day, 4 days a week, which I thought was a bit too for my then situation, but I was surprised my doctor reaction to the suggestion, as I had said that due to fear of not being able to work less.
(for the record, also a good way to get around sanctions if you want to resign due to a health condition/ anxiety/ depression).
FiloZofo, son of Zofo the Philosopher.