18 year old son with dyspraxia

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rachdee
New member - welcome them!

18 year old son with dyspraxia

Post by rachdee »

My 18 year old son was diagnosed with dyspraxia when he was 10. He has now signed on for Jobseekers allowance but is finding the process very stressful. I went with him to the appointments but for some bizarre reason I didn't tell them about his dyspraxia diagnosis. I told them about his anxieties and he did speak to a disability advisor.

I think didn't mention it because his social anxiety has been the main cause of concern over the last few years and it's like I had completely forgotten about his dyspraxia diagnosis. To be honest I think I thought it was something he had grown out of but now that I have come back to it I realise that the dyspraxia is the reason for his difficulties.

I feel like a bit of an idiot now :blush:

He is claiming JSA but we don't think it is the right thing for him at the moment. Should we be applying for ESA?

I'm not really sure what to do next. He is seeing a psychologist so maybe I should ask him for advice.

Does he need to be rediagnosed as an adult or would his childhood diagnosis be enough?
nickye
Power poster

Re: 18 year old son with dyspraxia

Post by nickye »

Hi, please don't feel an idiot, dyspraxia is a very difficult thing to explain to people anyway. I have just been diagnosed (at the advanced age of 44!) It explains a lot! I am so pleased to see that younger people are getting more help nowadays.

I'm not an expert at all, but I'd recommend going on the Dyspraxia Foundation webiste www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk and also seeing if they have a local branch. I've had a lot of help from the lady at my local drop-in centre.

I was assessed last week, and the lady I saw is doing a report for me and giving me quite a few exercises to do to help my spacial awareness/practical skills which is what I really struggle with.

I've had a lot of years of depression and anxiety, and I think it is connected with dyspraxia, as I've always struggled to do things that other people do easily. Although I always found writing and reading easy, luckily, but dyspraxia is quite complex, because different people struggle with different things. They can often have real talents in some areas. I think if I'd had help earlier in life I wouldn't have suffered so much depression.

I think your son is lucky to have a mum who is supporting him. My parents have always been supportive, but unfortunately no one knew much about dyspraxia. I only heard about it a year or so ago and it rang a bell!

Good luck to you and your son.
Nicky
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

My advice, try too see the Disability Employment Advisor (DEA).

I found the experience humiliating, a waste of time, some advisors are rude, arrogant or ignorant but you have more luck than me.

They are supposed to know about dyspraxia, I doubt the DEA, you see may know about dyspraxia.
rachdee
New member - welcome them!

Post by rachdee »

Thank you for the replies.

Nicky - I'm pleased that you finally have a diagnosis. I think that is the biggest battle of all to actually get other people to take you seriously and acknowledge that there is a problem. I fought for years with my son as I knew something wasn't right - he was just labelled as disruptive and naughty at school which was very frustrating.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering with depression and anxiety - I do think that is connected with dyspraxia too.

Aladdin - thank you. Yes I'm going to ask to see the DEA again. My son has to sign on tomorrow but I'm going with him and I'll tell them that this isn't right for him just now. The DEA we saw before was very nice and he did say to see him again if we had problems. Hopefully he will be able to give us advice on what to do next.

I think I'll take a print out of the symptoms of dyspraxia as they most likely won't have a clue what it is!

My son has been saying for ages now that he feels something is wrong with his brain. I realise now that this is because of dyspraxia - the problem will be getting this across to other people. It is a very difficult condition to explain.

I will let you know how we get on.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Good luck when you go to see the DEA. You might want to refer him to this document, produced by the Dyspraxia Foundation:

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/d ... ia_1.0.pdf

It's probably a bit too much for you to print out and take, but you could refer him to the link. IMO the document does a very good job of explaining to employers how dyspraxia can affect someone in the workplace- every Jobcentre DEA should have a copy.