Can a physiotherapist help dyagnose dyspraxia?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Robbedmushroom
New member - welcome them!

Can a physiotherapist help dyagnose dyspraxia?

Post by Robbedmushroom »

I have spoken to my GP a few times about getting a diagnosis (the last doctor I saw wasn't my usual one), but everytime they havent found where to send me. But I went today to see my doctor and he said that the last doctor I saw has said that he can send me to a physiotherapist to get diagnosed, my doctor seemed a bit unsure and was going to look into it. But it's just a bit confusing. My understanding was that you usually got sent to an occupational therapist or a nurologist.
Has anyone else been sent to a physio?
Thanks
joy
Power poster

Re: Can a physiotherapist help dyagnose dyspraxia?

Post by joy »

I would have thought you would have been seen by a occupational therapist first to be assessed then If necessary you could maybe referred. My son was referred to physio after a assessment because his right foot turned in and they needed to turn it more to the correct position with exercises.But the OT had to refer him after a consultation first.
Robbedmushroom

Post by Robbedmushroom »

That's what I would have thought. But they seem to think that the physio should be first.
They seem to be getting confused.

Did your son have talipes (club foot) by any chance?
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

Hi
No my son doesn't have a club foot it just turned in ,and made him go over on it quite often resulting in falling over ,so after seeing the occupational therapist she referred him to a physiotherapist were he was given a exercise band to use to help it turn more outward ,although he did it for a while I didn't think it made much difference .About three years later I took him for a private assessment and a full neurological testing and he commented about his foot turned in quite a bit,we went through corrective reflex training and it has gone to a much better position and he doesn't hardly ever fall or stumble over now.
When I was much younger both my feet turned in slightly it can make you more clumsy and make you more prone to tripping up .So I would have thought that you would have been referred to someone else before you see a physio.I really think that many of the medical profession are ignorant of Dyspraxia and dont know were to send you or what to do with you, so I think its a bit of a hit and miss as whether you are lucky or not to get a satisfactory explanation of your condition.
Robbedmushroom

Post by Robbedmushroom »

Ah thats fair enough. I would imagine it would be difficult to live with.
Yea they seem to be a bit baffled, but they are trying thankfully.
I am hopefully seeing my doctor this week so will have to try again.

Thanks for the help :)
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

Your posts have just reminded me, that when I was a child I walked with one of my feet turned in - my Mum was forever telling me about it! (Not in a nasty way). I couldn't seem to help it! I'd never connected that with the dyspraxia before, so that's really interesting. When I went to see the neurologist last week he said he thought I walked quite late, at 18 months - although he then said, well that is within normal, but quite late.

But I talked early - at 2 I was memorising names of dogs. It hasn't changed - I still prefer sitting around reading to going out and exercising! Seriously though, I have done quite a lot of walking in the past few years which has helped. My husband's very into long distance and hill walking, so have done a bit of that. it's relaxing to do something non competitive.

I hope everyone gets on OK. I noticed in the book "Coping with Dyspraxia" by Jill Eckersley that they mention the role of physiotherapists.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

Dyspraxia is involved in many areas which among them is Hypotonia (low muscle tone)To function normally,muscles depend on signals from nerves called motor nerves. Two types of Hypotonia can occur due to problems related to motor nerves.
Benign Congenital Hypotonia is usually generic that disrupts normal development of nerves,muscle and brain, conditions known to cause (CP) include downs syndrome ,Marfan syndrome and Dyspraxia it is a poorly understood condition that causes problems with movement, co-ordination and language.
Acquired Hypotonia can develop after illness,infection,injury and damage to the brain .However Benign CP is a controversial term that is not accepted by health professionals,some experts argue that B C H is not a proper diagnosis but a simple label that is used when a complete diagnosis cannot be made.
For most types of Hypotonia a cure is not possible, but can improve with treatment,such as physiotherapy and occupational therapy.
As well as( HYPO}tonia there is also( HYPER}tonia which involves floppy muscle tone which is often seen in cerebral palsy