Screening

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

welshtyke
Getting settled in

Screening

Post by welshtyke »

Is there anywhere one can go just for a screening. Although it will not be a full assessment at least it gives you a formal indication if you want to take it further.
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Re: Screening

Post by welshtyke »

I have been trawling the net and it looks like Dyslexia Action can help in a first instance with their Hidden Disability Questionaire.

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/identi ... fbff0747a8
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

YOU CAN GO FOR A COMPLETE SCREENING BUT IT IS PRIVATE AND MAY COST A COUPLE OF HUNDRED POUNDS YOU DONT HAVE TO CARRY ON WITH THE TREATMENT SHOULD YOU CHOOSE NOT TOO. BUT YOU HAVE WRITTEN EVEDIENCE AS WHAT YOUR PROBLEMS YOU HAVE IN FACT 14 PAGES OF THEM.
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

Joy

Thanks for your post. I think you know personally when something is not quite right. At moment I need to know with a definite maybe that I have issues. With this info I will have reasonable proof to approach my employer for a full screening if necessary.

I need questions answered and getting quite obsessed about it. But if basic screening will go someway to answer this it means I can take positive steps to address matters

Johno
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I am not to sure if screning is the way to go - you can do it yourself by reashearshing dyspraxicia and seeing how much of it applys to you. From then you can decied to have a test for a digignosis - this will all be a much cheaper and more worth while option
The real Mr Potato Head
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

Hi Tim Many thanks for your reply. I am not sure where I am at the moment. I posted earlier thinking I have mild dyspraxia and I still do. I have looked at my situation both past and present and feel there is something different. Initially I considered dyslexia and I can identify symptoms where both conditions overlap. The remainder fall into the dyspraxia category. The thing is I think it is mild dyspraxia, but I can identify with the bullying, being disorderly (my desk is a mess), oral comminication, writing, etc. to a lesser or greater degree. So I am looking to a screening to make sure I am not deluding myself.

Others may ask why bother, but you have to know.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Others may ask why bother, but you have to know.
I know what you mean, if its somthing you want to do then its your choice, we are not stopping you.
The real Mr Potato Head
BeatrixPlotter
Getting settled in

Post by BeatrixPlotter »

I agree, you have to know one way or the other or you won't get any peace!

It wouldn't hurt to stop by your GP and ask. I'm still wrangling with mine to try and get a referral, but I think that's an issue with my GP, not the service in general. If you really feel it's affecting you, it needs to be addressed!
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

Thanks to everyone for their positive coments. I just need to get my head together.
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

Had my screening it revealed I have very poor working imemoiry. Given other aspects I am now convinced I have mild dyspraxi. Is it worth speaking to GP?
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I would say yes talk to your gp but dont expect much - it depends on your GP really
Poor working memory is one indecations of dyspraxicia.
The real Mr Potato Head