what next

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nikkijxd
New member - welcome them!

what next

Post by nikkijxd »

right i know i have dyspraxia i was unofficially diagnosed by a family friend who teaches about dyspraxia to schools in wales. ive started uni and i feel like my dyspraxia may be making it difficult for me day to day. my main problem areas are motor skills both fine and basic. in the past week ive fallen over fully once and tripped stumbled or lost my balance numerous others i cant type properly as my hands bend the wrong way and this also make writing difficult (partially due to hypermobility) i live quite a way from the university and have to cycle in too. i know my university would offer help to me for these issues if they can get an official diagnosis but im not sure if its something that id want on my records especially as i know it has prevented my friend from joining the forces, which is a back up plan of mine. and with the job market as it is do i really want to put myself at a greater disadvantage. so yeah, any advice on whether i should pursue assistance from the uni or if i should just push on through?
Tim G
Super poster

Re: what next

Post by Tim G »

Don't try to push through and struggle on your own as it will only make things worse - get a official digignosis.

As for employment my advice is to allways disclose, yes it may cause a problem in a small number of cases if the employer is not understanding but disclosing means that you can be treated difrently and means it will be fair for you and you will have leagle backing of this.

However you can chose weather or not to disclose and the infomation will be treated as confidentail - people can't go and find it out unless you give your permition about it.
The real Mr Potato Head
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

Hi Nikkijxd
The army was quite right not accepting your friend into the army because of his Dyspraxia because of immature reflexes and immaturity of the central nervous system we are more easily prone to stress . If you have a Moro reflex instead of a adult startle reflex we are very much over sensitive ,over reactive ,and may often lose cortical control,when under stress pupils will remain enlarged making you more sensitive to light and hearing becomes louder because of the flight or fight mechanism. Adrenoline and cortisol are two of the main bodies defences against infections and allergies if they are used often as they are in the moro adult will make you more prone to anxiety ,stress and panic attacks and of being overeactive. The army is a very stressful enviroment even for the people who dont have the problems we have so I would strongly advise you not to lie to the army to try and get in as I am certain you would live to regret it.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Nikki

I'd encourage you to ask your University's suuport services what help they can offer. Maybe they'll pursue getting a formal assessment for you.

I really don't want to presume whether or not you'd pass an armed forces medical/basic training. Could you perhaps see if your university has a cadet group where you could see if it is something that would suit you having got a flavour from taking part in field exercises.

I'm not really convinced of the merits of disclosure given some peoples attitudes.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)