Do you think I have dyspraxia?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pet_lunatic
New member - welcome them!

Do you think I have dyspraxia?

Post by Pet_lunatic »

I've suspected so for several years, and thought it was time to ask the experts :) If I list what I think are the relevant symptoms, could you maybe give your opinion on whether you think it's worth my talking to a doctor or neuropsychologist? Also - is it worth having an official diagnosis, e.g. in terms of informing the workplace etc?

As a child I was very 'clumsy', excessively so. I dropped things, spilled every drink I picked up, fell over all the time, and had difficulty walking - I walked awkwardly with my toes turned in, a condition which worried my mother. At school I did well but had trouble with maths, especially mental arithmetic (even very simple sums; at 24 I still don't know my times-table). My handwriting was so poor it drew the attention of the teachers, who informed my parents that I held the pen very oddly and seemed to have trouble forming letters, but typically the school did not recommend any tests for motor problems.

As an adult, I am quite ambidextrous, tending to use either hand; I use cutlery 'backwards', and have some trouble holding things properly. I still fall over and drop things a lot, though not as much as I used to - I'm extra careful now! I hate walking and standing for any length of time; my legs get very tired and ache horribly afterwards.

I have spatial problems - I can't tell left from right, and frequently have to figure it out by holding up my hands and noting which one I write with. Looking in the mirror confuses me as I can't tell which hand is which! I tried to learn to drive and failed - I found it hard to attend to the things around me and struggled to cope with steering and changing gears both at once. I also have trouble paying attention to people - I drift when following conversations, have difficulty taking things in even when listening hard, get distracted easily, and can't pick out one person's conversation in a crowded room. My hearing itself isn't bad but I struggle to pick out song lyrics. Speechwise, I tend to talk too much, babble, mispronounce words and sometimes stutter slightly; it's as though my mouth is full of cotton wool and the words get stuck in it, so I slur or stumble. I have trouble controlling the volume of my speech and people have to remind me to speak quietly in public, while in private I sometimes mumble so much nobody can hear me.

Emotionally I tend to be anxious, sometimes depressed, panic easily; I have obsessive-compulsive disorder (an official diagnosis) and an addictive personality. Finally, I don't like to be touched, even by close family; it makes me uncomfortable. My skin is incredibly sensitive and becomes sore with the slightest contact; even clothes make me uncomfortable.

Sorry for the long post - but if this rings true to anyone, please could you give me some advice? I'd feel better about my various motor problems if I knew they had a cause!

Thank you.
robyn

Post by robyn »

I use my cutlery backwards too! And I identidy with alot of what you said, it sounds like dyspraxia. If you go to your gp its best to ask for an educational psychologist cause they will asses for related conditions too, and from what Iv heard they are far more syspathetic too. Mine was fab, I saw him through uni so it was quick and free, youd have a much harder time going through your gp. If you want to disclose to work then it is better to have an offical diagnosis cause it will pin point the exact problems, which helps if you need alowances/adjustments. plus it helps to know the details cause then you can look for a job that uses your strengths more than stress your weaknesses. good luck!
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

I think I got my diagnosis from a physiotherapist, but I honestly can't remember, it was a long time ago and I was ikkle.

I also got told I hold a pen oddly (still do) and I've been eating backwards forever.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Hi Pet_lunatic,

As others have said what you describe sounds familiar and most likely dyspraxia. I went down the road of a neurologist and they were a complete waste of time (which is what others have found to so I'm told). The best bets generally seem to be Occupational Therapist or Educational Psychologist. If you're outside of full-time education you may well need to look at obtaining an assessment privately.

Dan.