Made to feel like a complete idiot again :-(

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

StuartDotC
Getting settled in

Made to feel like a complete idiot again :-(

Post by StuartDotC »

Well after my sons OT told me I was probably dyspraxic too I finally got round to seeing my GP about a diagnosis today, and what a bloody disaster that turned out to be. So he asks what the problem is and I said I think I have dyspraxia then he just laughed and says but you seemed fine walking in (am I supposed to limp or something?) then he asked me why I thought that, well the reaction I got upon telling him just completely through me and everything I'd planed on saying just seemed to fall out my brain.

After stumbling through about 3 symptoms he got a piece of paper and a pen and without letting me finish he drew what I can best describe as a house shape with another house upside down on top of it then asked me to draw the same which I did (even my dyspraxic 8 year old son would find this easy to copy) and he told me that someone with dyspraxia wouldn't be able to do that. I gave up trying to change his mind at that point and just asked if if could be referred for a test and he says he will get me an appointment with a neurologist, I have a funny feeling that I will have to chase this up though as he didn't exactly fill me with confidence in his abilities as a health professional.

Words can't describe the amount I was raging leaving the doctors office today, I find talking about feelings and depression really hard and that's another thing I wanted to seek help with today as I've been feeling really bad this last few weeks but I just couldn't bring myself to talk about it with that absolute prick ](*,)

I though doctors were meant to help people, I feel worse than ever now and I just know I'm not going to be able to sleep now (I'm still feeling angry almost 8hrs after seeing him). Anyways think I'm gonna put the xbox on for a couple of hours now so I can kill a few people without the guilt :evil: lol
NicolaB
New member - welcome them!

Re: Made to feel like a complete idiot again :-(

Post by NicolaB »

Oh no...sorry that it went so badly, your GP sounds pretty clueless to be honest!! ](*,)

fingers crossed that the neurologists appointment is more successful.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Hi Stuart. The way your GP behaved towards you is absolutely pathetic! Unfortunately, it doesn't surprise me, as most of the doctors I have come across have seemed arrogant and not wanted to take seriously what I have had to say. In my experience, vets who have treated my cat have been far more willing to listen! Your GP's comment about your walking being 'fine,' demonstrates complete ignorance of the diverse range of symptoms which someone with dyspraxia might demonstrate. It reminds me of when I had the misfortune of being sent on a teaching placement (which I ended up leaving early), where the deputy head (who was supposed to be my General Mentor) demonstrated her ignorance of dyspraxia by informing me that I 'didn't look' dyspraxic!!! I was incredulous that she seemed to think that someone with dyspraxia ought to look a certain way! She was also a PE teacher, so I felt really sorry for any kids with dyspraxia at the school, who had the misfortune of having someone like that teaching them. I agree that it was ridiculous for the GP to give you that drawing to copy- people with dyspraxia normally do have some sort of problem with processing visual information, but a far more complex method of testing is usually required. If you were to undertake the WAIS assessment, administered by a psychologist, I can guarantee that any deficits you have in visual processing would clearly show up. I would also recommend that you undertake the WAIS because it includes a strong motor component, which would clearly demonstrate if you have problems with motor skills. However, as I have said in the Introduction section, the NHS damn well ought to pay!!!
StuartDotC
Getting settled in

Post by StuartDotC »

I wish I could go private but just wouldn't be able to afford it at the moment, hopefully everything goes o.k and he does get me with the neurologist. If it doesn't go well though I'll be making another appointment with a different doctor and I'll make sure I'm better prepared this time, they're not getting rid of me that easily :lol:
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Unforanlty this is quite commen for GP's to do this with dyspraxicia and genralie mental conditions - some GP are ok and take you serosley but others just dont understand.

Allthough you got turned down your doing the right thing about being persistent - it will take time but you just have to stick with it, its the only way if you cant afford to go private.
The real Mr Potato Head
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

Hi stuart
Sounds like the Bender Gestait Test or the The Tansley Standard Visual test both tests require you to draw all sorts of different shapes and dots and he has probably asked you to draw a couple of shapes to to see if you had any problems with how co-ordinated you are the way you hold a pen and whether the shapes seem uneven and immature or not . Even if you are not to bad at drawing doesnt mean that you dont have Dyspraxia as even Dyspraxics may become better at doing things as the more practise we have and as we get older.
Your doctor sounds very much like the doctor I once had didnt get much joy out of him either,
When I saw a neurologist didnt get much from him either was supossed to be investigating the nystagmus eye condition was more interested in the other eye ,done a few reflex testing (not many)as to what you should have and that was pretty much it still didnt find out what I came for and still left very much in limbo and very frustrated and dejected. Hope you get more out of your neurologist its no wonder the increase of the population of people suffering with mental health issues when this is what we have to expect .
When you are older its seem very much harder to try and get a diagnosis especially if you have left school they seem to think that this is something you have invented yourself when they are so crap at diagnosing it in the first place .
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

I'm so sorry to here your experience Stuart. The trouble is, some people can be so rigid that if you don't fit all the categories for a condition/disability/disease, they say oh you can't possibly have that! I have a very strong feeling i have dyspraxia, but a couple of things don't fit. My handwriting has always been neat, and I could do well in exams. But I couldn't tie shoes laces, ride a bike, catch a ball, until I was quite old, and even now I don't find those things easy. The worst thing is my organisational skills (or lack of them!) - I find it really difficult getting ready to go out even now and remember to take everything, and people say but you're supposed to be intelligent, how can struggle with these things? Even getting my own family to understand is hard - not that they're nasty to me or uncaring, but it's hard to explain to people. I am nearly 44 now and have a 10 year old daughter, and she can do most practical things (like cutting in a straight line or baking a cake) much better than I can!

I do hope you can get the support you need. I have been to see the local branch of the Dyspraxia Foundation - I found them on the website, and the lady there was brilliant. I'm hoping to see an occupational therapist - so wish me luck! I think I may need it! I've just started reading a brilliant book called "Caged in Chaos" by Victoria Biggs, she was 16 when she wrote it, and it's amazing. It describes so many of the problems I've always had, but I could never have put them into words so well as she can.

Anyway take care and good luck, and for your son as well.
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

Im lucky with my GP as he actually listens to what people have to say unlike other doctors
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it