Speech Frustration

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Metalhead87
New member - welcome them!

Speech Frustration

Post by Metalhead87 »

Hi all,
First post, so apologies if I ramble - this is mostly a brain-dump but if anyone can help, it would be appreciated!

I was diagnosed with dyspraxia as a baby, and didn't talk til I was 3 - the dyspraxia diagnosis was as a result of my parents being concerned that I wasn't talking (despite apparently being able to do six wooden "put the shapes in the holes" puzzles at the same time with the pieces mixed up).

I had speech therapy, and that "opened the floodgates" according to my Mum, and I've never really looked back or given dyspraxia a thought after that. 

I've not had any help or therapy since being a toddler, partly due to not really believing that dyspraxia could be a problem.

That said, I've recently come to realise that dyspraxia could be more ingrained into my personality than I thought. The symptom list reads like a rap sheet of my whole personality - though my girlfriend (who happens to be an NHS nurse) seems to think that I'm putting up an excuse for being clumsy and not taking responsibility.

The stand-out issues that I need to resolve are speech-related still and have the potential to destroy my relationship with the one person I want to help (she herself has issues on a totally different subject) and the person I love.

I'm probe to "outbursts" when I'm in a heated argument and don't have the words to explain how I really feel. There's also a more embarrassing trait that I just regress into childish "strops" when I don't have the words to express how I feel.

Most of the time I keep the outbursts to myself and just silently curse or close my eyes, but other times I have to just shout a random noise or hit something (most likely the bed or a cushion).

Obviously I realise that I can't continue like this. My girlfriend had said she's scared of me when I do things like this, which I totally understand given events in her life. I've never thrown a punch in my life (literally - not even at school) and would never do anything like that, but I want to stop the outbursts and strops.

Does anyone have any tips to help manage the speech frustration (does adult speech therapy exist)?

Thanks,
CW (aka metalhead87)