Question

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sam182
New member - welcome them!

Question

Post by Sam182 »

Hi since I was younger I used to have trouble riding a bike I only learnt how to at 13 and still do not dare ride down steep hills for fear of falling off, I also forget to turn and which brake to use even though I know I still forget whilst riding the bike.

I still can't tie shoelaces to this day so every job I start I fear of being told to tie something, I also am crap at building something but have no trouble painting and cleaning for example I started a job as a cleaner and managed to clean a whole retail shop and offices and toilets on my own without no trouble.

I also have random moods like one day I can wake up and be very energetic but the next day i will be feeling very groggy and lethargic.

I noticed since starting work I get aches mainly in the back of my legs like something very heavy is on top of my legs, I also try to start weightlifting but after a few days of it even after a break my arms ache bad whilst lifting.

I tend to get spaced out and rather sit just reading and watching random things on the internet, my attention span is getting worse for example I can't watch episode after episode of one tv show and I can't stay interested in video games which I used to love.

Is this dyspraxia as when I was 11 I got told I could have dyspraxia or that basically I was just a couch potato who likes to play up in school, they sent me to behaviour psychiatrists and they always said I seemed very normal to speak with.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Re: Question

Post by AlleyCat »

I'm not sure about the physical problems (such as heavy legs) that you've been experiencing recently, but some of the problems you've been having definitely sound like dyspraxia. Having problems riding a bike is an obvious sign, as well as not being able to tie shoelaces- just because you don't seem to have problems painting and cleaning, it doesn't mean you don't have dyspraxia, as it can affect people in different ways. I'm really not sure about the recent concentration problems you've been having- if you'd always had difficulty concentrating, then I would suspect ADHD, but as these issues have developed recently, it makes me wonder if you've been having problems sleeping or perhaps that you've even been suffering from anxiety or depression, as these conditions can cause a lack of concentration. Feeling energetic one day and then tired the next is actually something which is quite common in people who have dyspraxia.