Is there any point in getting diagnosed

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Brightspark
New member - welcome them!

Is there any point in getting diagnosed

Post by Brightspark »

I have long suspected I am dyspraxic. Can't catch hit throw, clumsy - my speciality is almost but not quite managing to walk though doorways, I find handwriting laborious and find my letters jumble up as my hand can't keep up with my brain, noting wrong with my spelling though. I am very scatty, and will forget things like keys, having a pen with me at work etc. being organised at work is an uphill struggle, I am good at my job, but the paperwork does get on top of me if I'm not careful and I find processes difficult. But I have found ways of coping, I write concisely, keep lists and have a post grad qualification ( thank God for computers), use direct debit and online banking so I don't have to remember to post bills etc. but it has affected my ability to be a good parent as I can't multitask and juggle , daughter has dyspraxia and I have been no help in helping her. I have lurched though the first 50 years of my life in a sort of ok way, is there any point in pursuing a proper diagnosis to confirm what I already know?
AlleyCat
Power poster

Re: Is there any point in getting diagnosed

Post by AlleyCat »

I'm not sure it's worth you getting an official diagnosis, although it seems as if you do have dyspraxia. The only thing I would say is that, if you're at risk of losing your job (I remember you said in the Intro section of this forum that you've been bullied out of a previous job), you would be able to take legal action for unfair dismissal if you had a diagnosis of dyspraxia. Of course, the employer would have needed to have previously been informed of any official diagnosis.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

A psychologist may offer coping strategies. A person's weaknesses should be highlighted. The diagnosed is a legal document. I am being diagnosed with dyspraxia. Adult dyspraxia is different from Childhood dyspraxia which the Dyspraxia Foundation should have known, 10 years ago, children will become adults.

It can be a problem finding a professional who diagnoses dyspraxia, provides a reasonable rate and provides coping strategies.

The N.H.S should diagnose dyspraxia, but sadly diagnosis of adulthood dyspraxia is very limited.

I should have been diagnosed with dyspraxia, 10+ years ago.

My problems are dyspraxic but there is still a lack of awareness amongst professionals. There are many people who do not know they have dyspraxia, they may not appreciate their dyspraxia or are undiagnosed etc..

:( :( :( :( :(
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

I understand totally where you are coming from - my son was finally diagnosed yesterday after years of fighting "the education/health systems" - he is now aged 23 and we had to pay £510.00 for the assessment (we were informed it was not available on the NHS for adults unless they were manic depressive and suicidal !!!!!!! - hard not to be after the cr@p he has endured over the years) - yet it was not available to him during his school years either. Anyway, he was very much "yeah, so it's confirmed, I got it .... so now what ????" However, he is looking to go to college in September and I am hoping the "Formal Diagnosis" will come into its own then - who knows ?? but I wil sure be fighting his corner .... again !! :)
Lainey

Post by Lainey »

Just a quickie reflecting on my earlier post (which was posted just one day after my son's diagnosis). It is now nearly one week since he was diagnosed and he is gradually coming to terms with it. He has now said getting the assessment done was the best thing ever - his areas of weaknesses and strengths were identified to him and he said "now I know what I have to beat, instead of it beating me after all these years" (I kinda get exactly what he means by that). I have to say I have seen such a positive change in him - we originally thought he was dyslexic although his assessment pointed out that he had only slight dyslexic tendencies. He says he feels as though "a light has been turned on" and the relief that he is "not going mad" is overwhelming. I am not sure if this is of any help to anybody but wanted to share with you all the benefits of diagnosis to my son. He is still in a "fragile place" as he puts it but is getting as much information as possible for coping strategies - it was amazing how many he had adopted unconsciously over the years. :)
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

to reiterate what lainley said, it is good to have a diagnosis of being dyspraxic, and yes they should make it available to everyone on the nhs.

But I think there is too little known about adult dyspraxics, as everyone is forced to pay privately, so they seem to think, and a lot of web-sites out there that still claim that once a child has grown up then the dyspraxic part of their lives magically disappears, whereas we all know it doesn't just disappear.

and as someone diagnosed some 26 years ago, and not being told, and left to stuggle through life, then it shouldn't happen, where was the help and support that was needed? they were thinking what an easy life this is, getting paid to sit down drinking coffee. like my social worker who was assigned to me, we met him once, and that was when I was 19, and he basically wanted to know who we were? what were we contacting him for? and why some 19 year old was still on the child services books? and to tell us we wasted our time calling him.

so while diagnosis is good at putting your mind at rest, and legal document, don't think it is a magic wand, as no-one will help you from my personal experience.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I agree, too little is known regarding adult dyspraxia.

An advantage is the coping strategies available, such as being physically fit and taking Omega 3 which has helped me.

An appreciation of a person's difficulties, with a little support.

The Dyspraxia Foundation has to do more, children will become adults, it should have done much more 10 years ago.

The information on the website was totally inadequate, they need to be more dynamic, by talking to the media.

The Dyspraxia Foundation USA is smaller, much more dynamic and powerful, See

http://www.dyspraxiausa.org

The argument that there are only a few people in the charity does not wash, Mary Colley did so much for the Dyspraxia Adult world.

The N.H.S is a totally disgrace and an almost total disaster on adult dyspraxia.

The Disability Employment Advisors and job centres are a disgrace.

Key4Learning has been very good. A problem is that there is not enough money for money for dyspraxia.

We have had problems caused by our undiagnosed dyspraxia.

I think a very slow change is happening, as more and more people are being diagnosed in adulthood.