Help desperately needed with regards to finding a job!

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyberpunkgrrl
New member - welcome them!

Help desperately needed with regards to finding a job!

Post by cyberpunkgrrl »

I'm 26 and just graduated University. While I was at Uni I was diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia, and got a lot of help from my Student Serives. Now I've left Uni I've been dumped out on my own, with no idea where to get help and support from. I've been trying to get a job for months now with no avail, I've applied for JSA through the JobCentre and they're messing me around something chronic (I started my claim a month ago and still no money!) and I'm getting to the end of my tether, because all I want to do is work but I need help in sorting things out and I have no idea who to turn to!
If anyone has any information or suggestions i would be really grateful, as this whole situation is making me feel pretty low

:(
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

When delivering things to the DSA, hand deliver them and take photos of yourself hand delivering them and holding a copy of the days newspaper.

When they inevitably claim the documents were lost produce these photos and angrily yell "How did you lose it between the frount door and your desk" with luck they'll go bright red and suddenly become really efficient and helpfull. Worked for me.

Most university careers services extend beyond the end of university. I know here at birmingham as an ex student (soon to be a student again but that's neither here nor there) I can walk back into the careers center any time till the day I die and get help&support for the world of work - you should check to see if your uni has something similar.

Sadly if you've graduated you're probably beyond the scope of connexions so I can't try to get you to join my mothers crusade :P
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Similiar situation to me. I am 26 just about to finish University (writing thesis at the moment although I am majorly behind).

However at least you have a diagnosis to help you.

I had a telephone interview with a recruitment consultant yesterday it was just awful I just can't think on my feet.

The best advice I can give is make sure you rehearse every possible question for an interview.

I am not sure about the jobseekers part yet and I am currently living on my savings. Hopefully I won't have to find out.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Hi cyberpunkgrrl,

I've also replied to your post in Introductions, but your questions here are a bit more specific. I personally meandered for years in the search for a job. I've never really know what I wanted to do, and the odd specific job I thought would suit me I never got.

I'd start off by noting down what sort of areas your interested in or, even better, if there's a particular job in mind that you'd like to see yourself in. With this in mind you can target your efforts.

If you haven't, then I'd take a step back and work out your strengths and weaknesses and in particular skills that you think you could put to good use.

There are also particular avenues to pursue if they appeal, such as the graduate jobs for big companies, although I'm sceptical as to whether these application procedures never mind the jobs themselves are at all dyspraxic friendly.