Is it worth it?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

OhJude.
Getting settled in

Is it worth it?

Post by OhJude. »

I'm sorry if I'm covering old ground here but I've been wondering lately if it's worth pursuing a diagnosis of dyspraxia? I am able to work but I do feel like if I had a diagnosis I'd be able to say to people 'I'm like this because'. I'm so tired of people getting frustrated with me and being frustrated at myself. I know a label is just a label but I think I'd find it useful in the sense that it would give me someting concrete to learn to deal with rather than just a wooly feeling of something being not quite right. I'm 31 and work as a teacher. If I were to pursue it do I start by going to my gp? I can't afford to pay privately. Thanks.
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by Tim G »

"Is it worth it" - YES, it gives you somthing to say that I am this way beceuse.... also with a digignoses you can get help as there is somthing to justifie you needing the help.

I would say start by going to your GP and seeing what the options are, unforanlty its lickly that you will need to get a privat assisment but if you say that there is no way you can afford this then mabie a compermise can be negoated.
However if you can't get the NHS to cover a assisment it is well worth it and it is somthing worthwhie inorder for you to get help and for employers to understand you better and make allowances.
The real Mr Potato Head
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Hi OhJude. I am impressed that you work as a teacher, as it's a career I want to pursue, but so far I haven't been successful in getting a post quite possibly due to dyspraxia having caused me to take longer than I should have done to gain my PGCE. I was assessed by an occupational psychologist, whose details I was given by my university. You can probably get the details of a psychologist by searching online, though be careful to only contact those who are registered with official organisations. My assessment cost £200- it's probably about £300 now.
OhJude.
Getting settled in

Post by OhJude. »

Thank you for your replies... Tim I do like your avatar! Sums it up really.

I've struggled through the second term of my NQT induction and I'm supply teaching just now. (Teachers have to complete a year of induction to qualify). I'm just generally quite clumsy (I tripped over a box of felt tip pens during an observation - got in to so much bother). My handwriting isn't too bad if I do it slowly but it can take a long time to get through the marking. Teaching PE is really hard... I usually choose children to demonstrate skills! I also think I space out easily, not great when you've got to be 'on top' of them all the time.

If it turns out I need to pay for an asssessment I may just put 'dyspraxic tendencies' on health questionnaires until I can afford it.

Thank you again... feeling much less lonely! O:)
OhJude.
Getting settled in

Post by OhJude. »

Well, I went to see my gp today. She said she'd never made a referral before but she would refer it to a clinical psychologist and see what they said. She said there were no guarentees that they would make the assessment, however. She did have a slight look of bewilderment but I'm still glad that said something. I'll keep you all posted!
cazzzzy
Getting settled in

Post by cazzzzy »

it is worth it !!! tell your work and maybe they could do the assesemant via occy health,thats what i did,work have been great