asperger's syndrome

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

abby
Getting settled in

asperger's syndrome

Post by abby »

i am thinking about getting tested for asperger's syndrome, as i have been looking around online, and i seem to fit the criteria, i have done many of the online tests and they have all come back as having a very high chance of having asperger's. i know online tests are unreliable, but i have tried a lot of them, all with the same result.

im not sure if i can/should. i am over 18, so the NHS wont care, and i think that getting a diagnosis will upset my mum. i brought the subject up, and she asked what asperger's is, i gave her a little detail, basically saying that it is differences in social communication, social imagination, and often has accociated sensory and motor differences. when i suggested that i might have some of the signs, she said no way, without even understanding what it is.
i just dont think that she can bring herself to think that her daughter is anything but perfect. when i was diagnosed with dyspraxia, she was really odd about it, she thinks of asperger's as a lot worse, without even knowing what it is.

im also debating whether i would actually get any help for asperger's as i am already over 18, and if i would, would it be any different to the support i get for dyspraxia.
if i can't get any help, it would just be something else i have to declare, and unless i get support i dont know if this is worth it.
maybe simply having the diagnosis might make feel less like im a stupid idiot for not understanding people.

any help? please.
you cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails.
agsiul
Power poster

Re: asperger's syndrome

Post by agsiul »

There are a lot of similarities with Aspergers but there are a lot of differences. These are the kinds of things you'd be looking at.

1. Do you have an American accent or a different accent to the other members of your family?
2. How did you learn to talk?
3. Do you take things litteraly as is.....if somone told you to sit down would you sit down where you were standing, i.e. on the floor instead of on a chair
4. As a child were you obsessed with twirly things like a tin opener?
5. Are you obsessed with routine and rules? (This one can be diceptive because it affects a lot of people with different problems including Dyspraxia)
6. Do you obsesively talk about what you are interested in to the point of being rude?
7. Are you obsessed with facts about whatever topic you are interested in and bore the pants off people (again lots of people can have this)

I have a child in work who has Aspergers and I also have a severly Dyspraxic child. There are differences between me and the the Dyspraxic child but there are plenty of similarities but there is no comparison between either of us and the child with Aspergers.
abby
Getting settled in

Post by abby »

1. yes
2. slowly, but suddenly
3. very
4. twirly and glittery
5. yes, i take the rules to the letter as well.
6. yes, not so much since mum would call me a retard whenever i would, but i dont know when i am going past the appropriate point, so i just shut up almost all the time.
7. yes, similar to 6.

i also have loads fo friends with aspergers and HF autism, and i do have a lot of similarities with lots of them.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

They were only the ones that I could think of. Would you like me to see if I could find you a proper reference list in work so that you'd have something to bring with you when you'd be going to get checked?
abby
Getting settled in

Post by abby »

thanks for the offer, i have got quite a few reference lists, which is what is making me take the people telling me to look at it seriously.
im just debating if the diagnosis would be helpful.
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I'm reading a book at the moment called Aspergers Syndrome in Adults, A guide to realizing your potential by Dr Ruth Searle. It's good so far.
ichiban-no-hime
Getting settled in

Post by ichiban-no-hime »

Last year my mum suggested I could have Aspergers, and I've been on the waiting list for a diagnosis ever since. It takes ages for you to get an appointment, as they're so busy, I should be having mine in the summer.
I'm very similar to you; I struggle socially, and find making friends and communication difficult. I also get overly obsessed with things, and like to know a lot of useless facts about my obsessions (they're always changing, or I find more, sloths, dinosaurs, anime, my little pony and vocaloids have been a few I've picked up in the last few years)
It's definitely worth getting checked for it, as you can get a lot offered to you if you are found to have it