Worth Seeing GP?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BaffledOwl1970
New member - welcome them!

Worth Seeing GP?

Post by BaffledOwl1970 »

Hi all - I'm a 40yr old female who was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome 18 months ago. I have always had poor co-ordination (not good at ball sports, can't swim, can't ride a bike) and often break things, or walk into them, and can be very heavy-handed and sometimes walk into things. I have trouble deciding whether to pass approaching people on the left or right. I have no sense of direction, but I don't usually have trouble with speech. My flatmate says my writing is very spidery, but when I was young my writing was very neat. My short term memory is terrible. Does this sound like dyspraxia or just AS lack of co-ordination? Is it worth getting an assessment? What does this involve? What help is there if you are diagnosed? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
agsiul
Power poster

Re: Worth Seeing GP?

Post by agsiul »

I'd go to an Occupational Therapist. They test things like balance, and the like. the thing is it will cost you so it might be worth asking the others how to go about it through a GP. In Ireland going directly to an Occupational Therapist is the best way when you are an adult. It is very expensive. There can be similarities so it can be confusing. You can get help for college and you are supposed to get help for work. I found out that in Ireland you'd get help for college but you're more or less on your own then even with legislation. It would depend completely on your employer here as far as I can tell but at least you'd know one way or the other.