Is my diagnosis legitimate?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

amelie
New member - welcome them!

Is my diagnosis legitimate?

Post by amelie »

I was accessed recently though my university as having dyspraxia. This found by having a full test by and educational psychologist who advised I was dyspraxic. Is this the normal route for diagnosis or is it better to see a neurologist as some people have? I am not looking for DLA or even medication but I would like some help with how best to deal with the dyspraxia as it has had a big negative impact on my life especially not knowing I have it!

I am a carrier of a genetic condition which may cause severe mental retardation and although it shouldn't cause an issue for carriers for the most part it seems that in the case of my and my brother it might have. He has similar issues to me but his co-ordination is worse, he also has a cortical dysplasia which was discovered after he developed epilepsy. I suffer from severe migraines (which are related to epilepsy) which I need to be on medication for, chronic anemia, skin problems, allergies and what I suspect might be fibromyalgia. I have suffered from serious depression in the past due to these issues and I have always known that I had some kind of problem. I suspect that my dyspraxia is symptomatic of a wider issue with my nervous system or brain development.

I think it would be a fight to get a offical diagnosis and I am not even really sure what it would achieve as I don't think they have the means to treat such an unspecific issue and I wouldn't want to be a burden on the NHS.

I would like to know what kind of help is available for me even if it is self help or anything that might help. While at times my problems, they dyspraxia might seem insignificant, taking it into account over the last 3 decades of my life I can see what a huge and damaging impact it has had on me. It has been insidious in it's undermining of all I have set out to achieve and is responsible for my rock bottom self esteem and anxiety issues. I just feel a bit lost as to what I should do next in trying to overcome these problems and get on with my life.
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: Is my diagnosis legitimate?

Post by Osymandus »

Welcome

Well for starters , yes your diagnosis is legit ;) Education Psychologists are people trained in recognizing and diagnoising , learning disabilities , you could see (and maybe for your other conditions i might recommend asking your GP who should reffre you with out too many problems i hope Is that correct Pete ?) A Neurologists for a more in-depth mechanical look at why and how your affected . OT, Psychologist and Neurologists all look at various parts of it (The Excellent book Living With Dyspraxia available from all good books shops some rubbish ones and The Dyspraxic Foundation ) and all are qualified to make an assesment.

On another note im a late diagnosis my self having been confirmed at about 33 , so the more people that stick their hands up and say hi the better as more research will become avalibe . Also Neuroscience is getting more funding and research every day for Alzheimer and other conditions along with ourselves .

Sadly depression (myself included) is a higher risk with Dyspraxia . Remember though you are never a burden to the NHS that is the low self esteem talking, just by being recognised you help yourself and others.

Some site to look at at are
DANDA http://www.danda.org.uk/ , The Dyspraxic Foundation itself (plus there's a nice adult advice line telephone on Wednesday 10-5 for a chat or email (plug plug) http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/s ... upport.php .

Having come this far in 30 years is brilliant , and with what you have , never mind just surviving life itself :D
amelie

Post by amelie »

Thanks Osymandus for all your replies, I did a lot of unburdening last night but it was just so nice to find a place where others seem to have similar issues to myself. I think I really need just to take some time to learn more about dyspraxia and how to deal with my issues a bit better rather than constantly chasing my tail though life. The links and advice you have given in all your posts is very helpful and I'll look at them further over the next few days. I am not sure if I should just mention to my GP that I was diagnosed with dyspraxia so they can make a note of it or if they wouldn't really be interested. Like you say, just them knowing the numbers who have an offical diagnosis is a big help in learning more about it!

Thanks again!
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Do mention it , it is a medical condition and is helpful to be on your records (mine told me off when i forgot lol )

No worries ;)
spoon

Post by spoon »

Hi,
I, like you have a bunch of health issues. At first I thought I had 'dyspraxia' as a condition but now that my health has gotten to the stage it is at now I am viewing it more as part of the bigger picture of my neurological and central nervous system problems. I guess it could have been a cogenital indicator of something bigger.

I'd definitely say your diagnosis is legit. From the perspective of having seen a neurologist about my health issues, they didn't even listen properly to those let alone get to the point of discussing dyspraxia. Also, dyspraxia is a diagnosis of exclusion. Unless the neurologist is really thorough then if they can't find something structurally wrong then they're likely to say that it's probably cfs or fibro (as health issue exclusion diagnosises) and send you back to your GP. Neurologists view dyspraxia more as a symptom than a condition.

In terms of getting support, if you're at uni you can get disabled student's allowance for additional support.

If you are working then access to work can give you support if you need it.

If you are struggling in relation to your other health problems too and this affects independent living you could contact social services for an assessment of your needs. I plan on doing this soon as my fatigue is generally severe enough to stop me being able to cook and clean. Whether you work or a student won't come in to it.

You can also get an assessment from occupational health through your local council for help with finding new ways of doing things independently.

Lastly, there is evidence that coloured lenses/overlays can help some people with visual stress, migraines, depth perception problems, epilepsy and reading problems. It's not a cure for sure but it has helped a lot of people. Look up maeres irlen syndrome or scoptic sensitivity for more information.