Assessment

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

underlinehere
New member - welcome them!

Assessment

Post by underlinehere »

I went to see my GP about getting assessed for dyslexia/dyspraxia and they did the dementia assessment on me! Is this normal? I asked for a referral to an educational psychologist but that was over 6 months ago and I don't think they knew where to refer me.

I went to my academic support team at Uni instead and managed to get seen by an educational psychologist who was able to assess me as profoundly dyslexia but doesn't have any dealings with dyspraxia. My academic support tutor was brilliant, and dyspraxic herself!!, and she has pretty much assessed me as being dyspraxic.

Where can I go from here? Do I need to?
Liz944
Super poster

Re: Assessment

Post by Liz944 »

The NHS have screwed up if they sent you for a dementia assessment which is something completely different from a dyspraxia assessment...

Ask your uni to refer you to someone who can carryout a dyspraxia assessment. They should have a list of organisations and individuals in your area who can carry out this type of assesssment. I know they normally pay for the first assessment but I am not sure if they will cover a second. It is best to push for the assessment at uni as once you leave higher education you will have to pay for a private assessment which can be expensive.
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
underlinehere
New member - welcome them!

Post by underlinehere »

Hi

Thanks for replying.

The NHS GP really did screw up! He was asking me what month it was and I was like WTF!! I don't have dementia you fool!!

Unfortunately I've now left University (& was diagnosed dyslexic/probably dyspraxic halfway through my final MA year) so I can't have their assessment. I already had the dyslexia assessment through them and got the Disabled Students Allowance and computer which really helped.

How much are private assessments?

Thanks.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Depending on the area you live between £200 and £400 pounds.
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...