Caring for your body

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Caring for your body

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

"Hey! I am 23 years of age and could be possibly be getting my own place in Augast so I was wondering if I could get some help with cutting my finger nails and toe nails correctly because I have great difficulty in cutting straight or in a cricle and I can't cut my right finger nails without the scissors sliding and damaging the nail and as for the toe nails I also have difficulty cutting them properly but the scissors doesn't slide when I am cutting my toe nails.

Now I can just about shave under my arms and my legs but I find it very dificult to cut anything straight or in an angle.
I may have problems waxing hair but I have never tried it so I don't know. Now when ever I shave my legs,mostly I accidently cut myself with the raser and I don't know why.

Can you help me please????

I could easily influence finger nails or in grown toe nails just by cutting them the wrong way with the scissors which are used for them.

This is quite urgent....

:D

WB.....
Amy Conway
maria
Regular Poster

Re: Caring for your body

Post by maria »

Use nail clippers instead. :) Having said that, I find clippers great for my hands but I can't use toe nail clippers and have to use toe nail scissors instead which I'm extremely clumsy with. If you can afford it, make regular appointments with a chiropodist who will be able to do your toe nails for you. Re shaving, you might find it easier to use a hair removing cream such as Nair - simple to apply and easily washed off in the shower. I've never tried waxing and due to our clumsiness I wouldn't advise anyone dyspraxic to attempt it.
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

Thank you!

What do you do with nail clippers?

How do you use them?

I don't understand size, shape and maybe more.

How do I get a Chiropatist and is it costly???

Would the Alexander technique work? What is it and how can it help motor delay or motor difficulties???

:D

WB...
Amy Conway
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

is it too bad to say "bite them" as an advice? that's what I do :-(
about hair removing, there are hair removing machines that are very easy to use an they don't make your hair grow stronger like the cream. You can do it once a wek and you legs will be OK for the whole week. Well, it depends on how hairy you are. Some people get away with doing it every other week. You can find those machines in Boots. Silkepil or Epilady.
Eva in London
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

Or you could do as I do and not bother shaving your legs. You don't need to, if you don't want to.
katrina
New member - welcome them!

Post by katrina »

The easiest way I find is not to cut nails but file them regularly. Each to his own. Get a good long wide file, one with a sandpapery surface. Or, if you're going to get them done for you, a beautitian is cheaper than a cheropodist. Or just get a friend to do it, if you've got a friend who's into grooming and that sort of girly stuff. You don't have to say you're dyspraxic, just that you hate doing your own nails because you find it tedious. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you still thinking of waxing? Have fun with that then, I made a right mess of myself, the bathroom and beyond - ended up with streaks that wouldn't come off and got stuck to my towel, clothes, duvet... And I thought I'd been crafty buying strips that already had the wax on them, but they're like pieces of toast; they always fall face down! Persevere with the shaving. If you're cutting your legs, are you using a good razor? You need one with several blades, not those dirt cheap disposable ones - they're lethal.
londoncatlover
Getting settled in

Post by londoncatlover »

mmmmmmm I find going for manicures reasonably cheap in the Thai nail shops which are popping up on every High st.
It's about 12 pounds for a basic manicure but a pedicure is a bit more pricey at about 20 pounds. It's a nice little treat every now and again, it makes me feel like I am putting the effort in.
Iv'e seen some places in London offer manicures for as little as 7 pounds.
I pop in to get my eyebrows waxed every month for 6 pounds because I can never get them perfect myself. It's a very good trick to look instantly glamerous.
londoncatlover
Getting settled in

Post by londoncatlover »

oh and another tip to instant glamour are synthetic hairpeices. I just wash my hair and leave it dry naturally then tie it in a pony tail and pop a hair piece on. It saves me bettling with a hair dryer and hair staghteners etc. Yanked my eyelashes out once when I accidently stepped on my hairstraightenrs when i was trying to curl my eyelashes at the same time.