Centre DLD in Nuneaton/ Being a Dyspraxic Labrat

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Centre DLD in Nuneaton/ Being a Dyspraxic Labrat

Post by Magic_Lemur »

When I was 13, I was diagnosed with Dyspraxia by this weird small firm in Nuneaton (Warwickshire).

They made me do things like fall backwards into their arms & crawl like a baby & apparently all these things showed up reflexes that had been there since birth & had failed to go away, hence leading to Dyspraxia.

Their treatment was repeated brush-strokes in lines or curves on different bits of the body (e.g. 20 strokes Left to right along the lips or 20 strokes down the curve of the spine).

They also had other quirky things, such as one I can only describe as this: http://neuronarrative.files.wordpress.c ... avinci.jpg . It involved laying on the floor & moving one straight arm down in a circle from head to waist, then moving your leg to touch the other one, then moving that leg to 45 degrees, then moving your second arm from your waist to your head.
The longer you took, the more the effect (apparently) & I got it up to half an hour.

I think the treatment was partially effective, but nothing compared to the trauma of thinking of yourself as some kind of Freak-show Guinea-pig, just before hitting puberty.

I was wondering if anyone had been to this clinic & what their experiences were..? And has anyone been a labrat, for such experiments?

I respect fully what they were trying to do, but I think parents can be too quick to see the negative side of what their kids are & not what a gift Dyspraxia can be.

I have forgiven them, but I'm going to have an open & positive mind when it comes to the faults of my children...
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50