Seen the neurologist - he has sent me a bit of an odd letter

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Seen the neurologist - he has sent me a bit of an odd letter

Post by babooshka2002 »

I got a rather odd letter from Dr Duffey, the neurologist I saw... I am not quite sure how to respond to it when I see him. I shall quote the important bit (this is the marvellous benefit of having a scanner that scans things to PDFs that you can then convert into text!)

"I have had the opportunity to read through your notes quite carefully. There are several very detailed reports contained within the notes which document developmental abnormality. As you know, there is documentation of impaired concentration and organisational skills and impaired processing of visual material, but exceptional literacy and verbal skills. With regards to the physical state, there is documentation of delayed motor milestones and hypotonia in earlier life with later recognition of joint laxity, kyphoscoliosis and coalition of the talocalcaneal joints. To my mind this is rather more than one would include within the term dyspraxia and I think that one will have to accept that there is an unspecified developmental abnormality present with cognitive, motor and physical components. I do not expect that a more specific diagnosis will be forthcoming, particularly given the investigations undertaken in childhood. I have to admit that there are a number of children in whom there is clearly abnormality present who do not attract a specific diagnosis. Use of the phrase "developmental abnormality" would perhaps be the simplest solution.

I am happy to discuss these matters with you when we next meet and also discuss with you the MRI scan of your brain once it has been performed."

Now then I don't think that it is necessarily appropriate to assume that all the things that are wrong with me are linked. I don't think they all are - I think that I have been quite unlucky and that I happen to have a tarsal coalition (foot problems are in my family) and a spinal curve IN ADDITION to my brain problems. The spinal curve may potentially be related - I used to slouch and slump and hunch a lot, which I believe was partially due to low self-esteem but partially due to my hypotonia (low muscle tone) which is a symptom of dyspraxia. Although the physiotherapist I have spoken to does not believe my spinal curve was caused by slouching, I think it could well have been - the tendons in my spine are short and to me it stands to reason that a lot of hunching during childhood and teenagerhood (new word!) could cause shortened spinal tendons in the same way that children and teens constantly wearing high heels can cause shortened foot tendons (another reason I hate high heels).

You could say that my problems are indicative of "classic" dyspraxia. Really, I couldn't GET that much more classic.

http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/s ... ondary.php <--- Look at that! LOOK AT IT. That's me, right there!
Brad
Getting settled in

Re: Seen the neurologist - he has sent me a bit of an odd letter

Post by Brad »

Dr Duffey? Of York? I saw him about five years ago.
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

Yes, in York!

What did he say to you? Got any hints/tips?
Brad
Getting settled in

Post by Brad »

Alas it wasn't about dyspraxia. It was concerning confusion spells following my heart valve replacement! My referral for dyspraxia will be at Bootham Park!