Getting Assessment

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

agsiul
Power poster

Getting Assessment

Post by agsiul »

I live in Ireland.I was told that there were no Occupational Therapists here who would test. Does anyone know anything different?
Ldyalb
Regular Poster

Re: Getting Assessment

Post by Ldyalb »

I don't know much about things over there but have you tried asking your GP to refer you to a Clinical Psychologist or a Neurologist for assessment? I was diagnosed by the former in London. An assessment does not necessarily need to be carried out by an OT, if there are none in Ireland who will/can test then either a Psychologist or a Neurologist should be able to diagnose. Good luck!
Dyspraxia - Dx Jan 2010, borderline ASD as well plus strong Dyscalculia overlap.

Fibromyalgia - Dx Jan 2011.
Hypermobility - Dx April 2011
Willis-Ekbom Disease - Dx November 2011

I also have Eczema, Rosacea and Trichitollomania. Oh joy :)
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

I don't know how things are run over there but I'm assuming Ireland have a simple system to ours. Try this site:

http://www.dyspraxiaireland.com/

It might be able to help. Going to see your GP might be the best idea though.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

yeh, well, it seems it depends so much on the gp. good luck with yours
Eva in London
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

Remus wrote:I don't know how things are run over there but I'm assuming Ireland have a simple system to ours. Try this site:

http://www.dyspraxiaireland.com/

It might be able to help. Going to see your GP might be the best idea though.
No links to this forum on there sadly.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Ldyalb wrote:I don't know much about things over there but have you tried asking your GP to refer you to a Clinical Psychologist or a Neurologist for assessment? I was diagnosed by the former in London. An assessment does not necessarily need to be carried out by an OT, if there are none in Ireland who will/can test then either a Psychologist or a Neurologist should be able to diagnose. Good luck!
I tried the Dyspraxia association of Ireland and they haven't answered me so going through the GP might be a better option but would like to have some idea of what would be invloved first. Does anyone have any idea how the Neurologist and Clinical Psychologist would do to test for Dyspraxia? I'd like to have some idea of what kind of tests would be invloved before I talk to the GP. It would be for college so I'd need to speak to them too to see if they'd accept a diagnosis from them rather than an OT