I think I have Dyspraxia - what next?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ldyalb
Regular Poster

I think I have Dyspraxia - what next?

Post by Ldyalb »

Hi, I'm new here and was hoping you guys could give me some advice? I first came across the term 'dyspraxia' when I was reading about people who struggle with driving (I started driving lessons over a year ago and gave up after several weeks as I was reduced to tears constantly and found it a struggle. I struggled to identify my left and right as a child but was able to hide it from people as I have a mole in my right hand which I still use to let me know which is which. When I started driving I realised I actually needed the mole to identify them and frequently turned the wrong way at junctions etc.) So I read up on dyspraxia and felt like I was reading my life's story, my maths is appalling, I fall over/trip all the time, my hands have always felt like they belong to someone else as sometimes I feel I have no control over them, I always drop things (am known as 'butterfingers' in my family). I find things like sport, dancing and music difficult and I can't multitask. I have lots of other symptoms too like struggling to cross roads because I can never tell how far away/fast cars are moving so always err on the side of caution. As a child I struggled to hold my pen correctly, eat properly (am right handed but use my fork in my right hand), tie shoelaces, tell the time. I still can't ride a bike. I struggled to skip and swim also. I also walked on tip toes until I was about 7, I had sleep problems ( I had professional help with the sleep problems but they couldn't work out what was wrong with me) and I also struggled to dress myself and do basic grooming, like brushing my hair. I'm better at the latter two now but I can only cope with simple hair styles and make-up, for example I can wear my hair long, or in a ponytail but I can't do anything much more complicated than that with it.

So I went to the Dr a week ago, she was very sympathetic and did some research for me. She agrees with me that I'm likely to be on the dyspraxic spectrum but didn't really do much else. She gave me details of the Dyspraxia Foundation and told me to ring them. So I'm currently trying to speak to people who could perhaps advise me on my next step? I would like to get an official diagnosis as I've had some problems with my current job (I work in retail) and I'm struggling to find a graduate job because my maths skills aren't as good as they expect from someone who graduated from my University. I'm applying to non maths based jobs but I still have to pass difficult maths tests to be able to submit an application form and it's really difficult for me to do that. With my current job I've been told off for becoming flustered under pressure (I panic easily as I know I have certain physical limitations which make me more prone to drop things/spill expensive moisturiser etc) and struggling to carry heavy stuff (muscle tone is poor and I'm not very strong, esp in the upper body). My appalling short term memory also gets me into trouble at work, but also with friends and family who do not believe I genuinely forget to do stuff, esp as my long term memory is excellent. Who do I need to ask my Dr to refer me to?

If anyone could help then that would be great! :)
Dyspraxia - Dx Jan 2010, borderline ASD as well plus strong Dyscalculia overlap.

Fibromyalgia - Dx Jan 2011.
Hypermobility - Dx April 2011
Willis-Ekbom Disease - Dx November 2011

I also have Eczema, Rosacea and Trichitollomania. Oh joy :)
Shadwell

Re: I think I have Dyspraxia - what next?

Post by Shadwell »

Ldyalb, sorry I haven't written sooner,

maybe a neurologist or something, but my experiance is one appointment, and then no follow up. but you need to see a neurologist that will actually accept there is a problem, and accept to see you more than just for that appointment if your going to get any sort of help out of them.

most people on here seem to be of college age, so they goto get tested that way through the special needs or whatever, but all I can see them doing is assessing you, and what needs you got for needing stuff to pass the course.

the admin like Dan and Spooky, might know about Dyspraxia Foundation, but I never joined them, and as far as I can gather either the group meetings are too far away from me, or they only deal with kids and parents of dyspraxic kids, I think it was the first fact though, and as I didn't have a car, or a car that I could use then it wasn't a viable option for me to join.

i might do one day if there is enough feedback on this forum. and I got a reliable enough car to get me to a meeting.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

Disappointing to hear (well, read) that, Shadwell. I'm waiting to hear when my appointment with the neurolgist is. And I've contacted the Dyspraxia Foundation support group in a couple of occasions, and I've never received any response. This forum is much better: information, sharing experiences, etc.
Ldyalb, I also think that the day that I get my appointment, I'm going to be perfectly fine, aslo because I think that my dyspraxia is mild (for what I see here from other people's experiences). How long did it take since they tell yu the appointment until teh actual appointment?
Eva in London
Ldyalb
Regular Poster

Post by Ldyalb »

Eva - on lunch so very quick. I only had to wait about 6 weeks. Good luck! I'm going to St George's in Tooting. I booked online :)
Dyspraxia - Dx Jan 2010, borderline ASD as well plus strong Dyscalculia overlap.

Ldyalb
Regular Poster

Post by Ldyalb »

ps: Eva, my referral letter is dated 30.11.09 and my appointment is 26.01.10 so just under two months which isn't bad by NHS standards. I wasn't expecting an appointment so early this year - was thinking I'd be lucky if seen in March!

Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

thanks. So close for you now! did they ask you to fill in that questionnaire or did you do it just for your self. It's sooo long!
Eva in London
Ldyalb
Regular Poster

Post by Ldyalb »

yeah it is, scary! They haven't asked me to bring anything except my referral letter and a list of medication that I'm on. I've filled out the questionnaire as a memory aid to myself and will take a copy just in case they want it. I'd recommend filling out the questionnaire - it really reminds you of things you may have forgotten. I also googled symptoms in children and remembered a lot of things I'd forgotten I used to do (like having to put paper down on tables when drawing/colouring in as I always drew on the table without realising, having to have drinks poured by my parents until my mid teens as I always poured past overflowing without realising etc).

Once I've been I'll post on here and explain what was said/done at the appointment. Feel free to private message me if you want to chat/get extra advice after I've had my appointment :)

ps: my questionnaire is on my computer, it's 11 pages! :O