Could I be Dyspraxic?

Getting assessed for your dyspraxia, getting help, disability allowance etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kellibear
New member - welcome them!

Could I be Dyspraxic?

Post by kellibear »

I actully just heard about this for the first time to day. I was reading the symptoms and i got goose bumps. I'm wondering if i should get tested. Heres the reasons im considering getting tested.
- I am very clumsy. I constantly have brusies and am falling. Is kind of a joke with everone i know.
-I cant eat or drink w/o making a mess
-I type very slowly no matter how hard i try and cannot type from a piece of paper.
-I can't listen well.
- I have totaled 3 cars and im only 21.
-I am forever saying "what was i just going to say" and forgetting what i was thinking about.
-No sense of direction.
-I just can't seem to hear what people are saying sometimes.
- When im stressed i melt down.
-As a child i was very sickly and had terrible tantrums ( my parents called me sybil)
- I can't spell and have aweful handwriting
-I feel like i cant do anything right.

Sorry that was so long. I've always just wanted to understand why thing seemed so hard. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
gherkin001
Super poster

Re: Could I be Dyspraxic?

Post by gherkin001 »

Trying to get assessment in adulthood is very hard, I was lucky and was diagnosed at 13, but there are so many others who cant get assessed that just know in their heart of hearts that they check the boxes for dyspraxia and for them that is as good as a diagnosis because then you can learn mechanisms for getting through each situation without the usual mishaps.

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
djgard27
Getting settled in

Re: Could I be Dyspraxic?

Post by djgard27 »

I know what you mean with your story i have just been diagnosed in the last year i asked my doctor to send me to an ot and she has produced a medical report for me I am 28 and suffered a lot of the same symptoms you have I suspected i may have it for a few years but knew very little about it and my doctors werent very helpful they knew little about it then i read a case study in a newspaper about a year ago and i knew then i had it i went to my doctor who again was resistant but i said i need to see a ot i went and undergone assesments for a few months and it flagged up a few things im now finished seeing the ot but im going to a physio to give me exercises to help i needed some sort of medical report to show people which may get me support in day to day life i have only got this through in the last few weeks if I can be of any help please get in touch.

Thanks,
David