Eating Spaghetti

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

LGC2108
Regular Poster

Re: Eating Spaghetti

Post by LGC2108 »

I often choke when attempting to eat long spaghetti, so usually stick to small pieces of pasta.
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Yes it's embarrassing making a huge mess in front of people whilst eating spaghetti, but i personally find it hard to care that much since as it's so damn good :D
As for cutting it up with a knife well, l won't express my thoughts on that for fear of insulting most of the people in this thread.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I never realised till very recently when I went to some friends who provided fork and spoon for eating spaghetti.

Basically you put the tines of your fork into the bowl of the spoon which greatly helps when trying to wind the stuff around your fork.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jake468
Getting settled in

Post by Jake468 »

Tom fod wrote:I never realised till very recently when I went to some friends who provided fork and spoon for eating spaghetti.

Basically you put the tines of your fork into the bowl of the spoon which greatly helps when trying to wind the stuff around your fork.
I've known this from a very young age and it's quite satisfying when you do it successfully, although amusingly I actually find it to be more of a hassle than simply shoving it into my face.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Jake468 wrote: I've known this from a very young age and it's quite satisfying when you do it successfully, although amusingly I actually find it to be more of a hassle than simply shoving it into my face.
It was a revelation for me though I suspect I can still manage to make just as much mess 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
bely
Getting settled in

Post by bely »

For those worried about being unable to use fork + spoon: fork alone as someone here does is the right way - trust me I'm Italian :grin:
Luckily no one expects from me to use the spoon cause i would be unable too :D
bely
Getting settled in

Post by bely »

Ps no offense for anyone I hope, just encouraging the only-one-tool users like me!
;)
Best way is the way that makes us more comfortable, whatever it is ;)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I do find getting manageable portions of spaghetti onto my fork (with or without spoon) frustratingly inconsistent.

I do love pasta though, but prefer it in the shapes, usually I go with fusilli.

My parents favour spaghetti though, which means if they're cooking a bolognese then I end up getting most of it down a napkin.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Teejaye98
Getting settled in

Post by Teejaye98 »

I eat mine with a fork, love twirling. Spoon doesn't work for me either. I can't do ANYTHING with my right hand. And I do mean nothing. Can't hold a pencil or utensils. Weird... considering apparently most dyspraxics are the opposite from what I've heard?
eYh
Getting settled in

Post by eYh »

I am a fork only person. But I practised a lot by myself. I think it's rude to laugh at one's company when they are over for dinner. But maybe the food was so.... :banana: ? Worth it?

lol

Yvonne
Peerpower
Getting settled in

Post by Peerpower »

Hi all.

I'm sitting here laughing after reading this thread. I promise I'm not laughing at anyone. I'm laughing as I know just how much mess I get into with spaghetti too. I can picture me trying all the different ways to eat spaghetti as I've tried it all. I'm the sort of person that laughs off difficulties like this. I'm forever spilling things down me. I don't wear white very often I can tell you!
I'm also laughing with relief. I had never really though of dyspraxia as the cause, it's good to think it's not just me!

If I have to eat spaghetti, then I use just a fork. I still get it down me! But usually I'm with someone who knows what I'm like. As for fork and spoon I just can't. It's hilarious trying. I give up with it.
I can't hold a spoon in my right hand at all. It's hard enough using a knife in my right hand TBH. I'll cut things up with a knife using my left hand where I can (ie don't need to hold a fork) and spread things on toast using my left too.

If I cook myself I use fusilli. The twirl means it stays on my fork much better than shell pasta!

I've not been diagnosed with Dyspraxia but have booked an assessment in August. I'm 90%?sure I have it.

Leanne
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I tend to use a knife, and fork for spaghetti, still a messy task, but totally useless trying to use a fork and spoon. twirls just keep falling off my fork whether stabbed, or scooped. shells tend to have the same problem with, oh well there are times of having a dog comes in handy for the escape peas!! lol
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

I used to think that I hated pasta, especially spaghetti. Now I realize I'm just really embarrassed to eat it in front of other people because of how sloppy I am.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I tend to avoid anything messy

Even though my Dad is not dyspraxic if he eats spaghetti, shepards pie, curry he does not tend to bother with the knife much, just a fork.