That damned cafetiere

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

That damned cafetiere

Post by firemonkey »

Oh well , that was a waste of money . Cafetiere came .You have to assemble the inner parts together . Cue me going into idiot mode. Can I do it? Can I *%^! ! . That's what you get for having the non-verbal intelligence of a brain dead gnat and motor skills that suck big time . It's going to have to be unassembled and reassembled with every wash. Eek ! I guess I should have thought of that before buying. You can wonder whether your 'dyspraxic' symptoms have improved with time and then something like this tells you- "no way!"
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: That damned cafetiere

Post by Tom fod »

No or poor instructions? So how many pieces are there?

In theory it shd be a jug with a plunger that you insert and acts as a glorified coffee strainer to separate grounds from liquid. I believe you have to do it quite carefully so I stick to instant as tbh I cd barely tell the difference.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
SusanS
New member - welcome them!

Post by SusanS »

Hmm interesting. I keep all instructions for everything and love using them, especially the diagrams. Lately I have been using youtube demonstrations of how to do stuff. If you lose the instructions then a lot of things have the instructions on line. I stay away from sites that aren't either the manufacturers or someone I know, better safe than sorry when it comes to downloading something nasty onto your computer. I'm thinking that doing this is a way of compensating for being all fingers and thumbs. Having a really good look through instructions really helps me. I even use instruction videos on youtube for how to chop different types of fruit and vegetables. \:D/ I and must say that using a cafetiere has always been a struggle. Since getting the message recently that I have a ton of dyspraxia symptoms I'm slowing down and doing everything only after thinking it through. Much less mess from pulling lids off tins (just face it away from yourself, and use a knife to prise it up, and do it over the sink, who would have thought?) and wondering if maybe I could even cook something without an apron one day.... Next time I'm near a cafetiere we're looking at a half full kettle to pour the hot water from, a cloth to wrap round the caefetiere and hold it with one hand whilst very slowing pushing down the plunger a little at a time with the other, and moving it close to myself before starting rather than leaning over the table to do it. non slip mat of course as well.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

There were no instructions.My granddaughter tried assembling it but the rubber seal to go round it kept dropping off. As it is my stepdaughter found a bigger one for me that was £3 cheaper and didn't have to be assembled. It works well. It also has a scoop for measuring out the coffee.
I use 2 scoops per full cafetiere.