Trying to do too much

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Trying to do too much

Post by otis_b_flywheel »

Hello everybody and sorry for a long radio silence. I've missed this forum but as the post title may hint at, have been spinning too many plates. Under the "Learning, thought and memory" heading, the Dyspraxia Foundation list of adult symptoms contains the following:
"May do only one thing at a time properly, though may try to do many things at once"
I seem to take this behaviour to an extreme, to the degree that it is affecting my mental health. I am anxious a lot of the time for reasons many dyspraxics will understand, and trying to do too many things really makes this a lot worse. I have been getting some help from a psychologist of late and things may be turning round as I'm starting to drop a few activities that I find give rise to stress and are no longer enjoyable as a result. But this is a long-term project - I was told off (in a pleasant way) in a school report for trying to do too many things, and am now nearly 58, so old habits die hard ...
Does anyone else on this forum find themselves behaving in a similar way?
Regards
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Trying to do too much

Post by Tom fod »

Tim
I definitely do this myself too. I think in this modern age there is a lot of choice and demands on our time and we would maybe do well to try to take things at an easier pace sometimes.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Lucy
Getting settled in

Post by Lucy »

Hi Tim,

I totally relate to this. I think with the pace of life these days, it can feel for me like there's a pressure to do more, that you're failing if you don't, but I've really noticed how much better I feel all round when I can drop some of those plates! When I feel tempted to take on something new, or realise I've just taken on more than I should, I try to remember how good it feels when I'm doing that bit less - from fewer bruises to less anxiety to better sleep! But it is hard and I keep falling back into old patterns. I hope your work with your psychologist is helping.
MelSheba
New member - welcome them!

Post by MelSheba »

I had that yesterday in particular where everywhere I looked I saw something that could be tidier or cleaner or things just weren’t quite right and I felt miserable all day