Dogs

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carpe Veritas
Getting settled in

Dogs

Post by Carpe Veritas »

I'll start this little tale of woe with the fact that It is absolutely pissing it down outside, really going for it rain wise, and it was last night as well.

Now add to this equation that me and my partner have just started looking after her parents dog for a while, a nice collie/alsation cross called Beth, verycute very friendly.

Now I was the last one of us up to Bed last night so at Hayley (my partners) request I let the dog out into the back garden so It can do its buisiness while i sort myself out in the bathroom, so I let it out the back door and close it after her to make sure she does.

I then go up to bed having done my mental checklist and content that everything is fine in the house and promptly cuddle up and go to sleep.

Cue next morning 6 am I get woken up by a screaming very upset Hayley trying to convince the dog to get revenge on me, puzzled I quickly realize that the Dog is completely soaked through and muddy on account of her being locked outside, with no shelter in the pouring rain for the last 7 hours! And despite living in a rough area I hadn't even locked the back door after her!

Cue depressing conversation about us not getting a dog for at least 3 years untill she knows she can trust me, and worrying about leaving kids alone with me etc. That and lots of towelling playing with and stroking the naturally upset dog!

God I feel so useless and very guilty, all because I'm totally unable to remember anything.

Do any of you look after dogs or children?
Always be obscure, clearly
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Sorry can't help on the children front..... but do have a cat who if it makes you feel better has had me running around in the rain for the last two days because she won't let me pick her up to bring her indoors....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

don't worry, I am unless unless I just do one thing at a time on a bad day,

so back when I was living with my parents, it was let the dog out, let the cat out, and then let the other dog out, and then let them all back in, and then lock the door, usually though they did come back all together, just liked me standing by the door,

but they wouldn't have been quiet if locked out, like the cat learned how to right the door bell!! and would quite often ring it if she got no responce to her meow's! which would even send the dogs mad, even if they are outside with her, and could see no-one was there!!

so no, don't think we would have been able to keep them locked outside for even 5 minutes longer than they had to be!!
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I have to admit my cat would find the nearest open window and walk in....
not good when there are breakables on the window ledge!!!!

I wish she would learn to use the doorbell.... as it stands I have to listen very carefully to the bell on her collar. As my bedroom is above the backdoor I can hear her when she decides she wants to come in (but normally on her terms....)
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

My cats a lazy bugger, but he has learned the technique of knocking the dor using the letterbox.... we cant ever forget him lol!!

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
tompete123
Getting settled in

Re

Post by tompete123 »

Can relate to your situation. If I have to remember something "new" not on "my memory checklist" theres a good chance I'll forget it. Don't worry my memory is shite too ..............:(
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Re: Re

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

tompete123 wrote:Can relate to your situation. If I have to remember something "new" not on "my memory checklist" theres a good chance I'll forget it. Don't worry my memory is shite too ..............:(
Ditto here. I have to write things of importance down or I'll forget. This applies to almost everything except, curiously, names, birthdays (I can remember b-days of celebrities), names to faces if I've seen the person quite a bit, and (facts or fictional stuff) from things like books, TV or movies.

I have a dog and have forgotten to let her in. It is okay, I think many people have done it and dogs are very forgiving for it. They will be all right as long as you don't do it all the time. :) Everybody makes a mistake and forgets every once and a while. I try to remember this every day because I make quite a few forgetful mistakes or get distracted every day.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
ianpenfold
New member - welcome them!

Re: Dogs

Post by ianpenfold »

You should re-assure your partner (who i hope already knows about you having dyspraxia - if not tell them) that when you get a dog of your own, it will become part of your daily routine.

Something which might help is if you have a lock on your bedroom door - lock the bedroom door in the daytime and have the key on the same keyring as the door to the outside. That way if you forget, when you go to your bedroom you wont be able to get in, will go downstairs to get the keys, find them in the door to the outside (which is locked), and remember why you left them there - hopefully!.

...or something like that. I have a routine of always locking my door when i get home as soon as i'm in, whilst the keys are still in my hand. that way if i was drunk, when i get up in the morning and find the door locked, i know that the keys are in my flat somewhere.

When i'm at my sister's house, dogsitting, i look out the window and watch the dog. that way i can see when to let him back in again, dont forget ive left him out, and i get to bed usually a lot quicker. generally, the dog wont want to come in streight after he's done both businesses so i have to call him in.

In your case, the dog probably thought you'd abandoned it and wondered why, so when you gave loads of fuss and dried it off the dog was probably very happy. either that of it will learn to bark or howl if you forget again. lol.
bumbleguff
New member - welcome them!

Post by bumbleguff »

We have a dog and she is very much part of my routine ( she doesnt let me forget her essentials)
she helps me to go out , because without her i would and have found every reason not to . She is a husky , and she has grown remarkbley intelligent in the fact when her owner falls over she stops and helps me to get up . and she quite likes it when i spill and drop things as well.
i also have managed to bring up three children as well to young adults and they to thrive at a young age with routine ......thats not to say i didnt fluff things up at times .
hope this reassures you and your partner. O:)
annie49
Getting settled in

Post by annie49 »

You are like me.I left my baby daughter in the supermarket.I completely forgot about her, to the extent that I went to the toy shop and bought her a toy.I went home and when my husband asked where the baby was ,I had no idea.She was recognised by a child in her brother's class.When I collected her she was covered in chocolate which they had used to pacify her. Like your partner my husband was very upset and angry.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

OMG you must have been so traumatized after that.