Eyesight and Hearing

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

BetaBox
Getting settled in

Eyesight and Hearing

Post by BetaBox »

I have really good vision and hearing, maybe thats another of our advantages, I'm wondering if people have the same experience.

Remember theres a difference between hearing and listening!
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

i find a big difference between listening and hearing. i can quite easily hear someone speaking to me without listening to what theyre talking about. My hearing is fine and so is my vision. But i do wear glasses. Lucy
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

my hearing has got worse over the years, and my eyesight isn't brilliant, as I have had to wear glasses since about 4 years old, and that is 24/7.

if I even take my glasses off, then it is like everything is double the distance than it actually is. so even things like driving would be dangerous.
WTCCFan
Regular Poster

Post by WTCCFan »

My mother has NF2. If you don't know what that is think the "Elephant Man". But he had NF1. Which is the far more extreme case.

It is hereditory. For years I have had MRI scans which has proved clear constently. One more and I will be clear of it forever. I have also have audio tests somewhere else and often the results has proved very good indeed.

Sight is also good too.
ice
Getting settled in

Post by ice »

my hearing isn't to good, i have an aid but find it harder to listen when wearing it because it picks up all the other noises. i now also have to wear glasses, which again i find hard to cope with but i am getting headache now when i not wear them so i guess i must get used to them
steph
New member - welcome them!

Post by steph »

My sights excellent, and my hearing is ok if I'm in a quiet room. My problem is, if the room is crowded with other people, I can only tell what someone is saying to me providing I can see their lips.

If someone tries whispering in my ear I haven't a clue what they're saying, and it can turn into an extreme case of chinese whispers. :S
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I had a problem with my eyes for a short while in my early teens where I didn't have control of the muscles around my eyes, such that if I tried to peer at my nose (i. focus on an object very close to my face) my eyes would 'ping' out in opposite directions, like opposing magnetic poles bringing them together forces them violently apart.

I was cured of this by training my eyes to focus on a near point by bringing a lollipop stick adorned with a "ghostbusters" logo from far away to the tip of my nose and trying to keep the image in focus.

I no longer have this problem (I can happily stare at my nose all day if needs be ;) ) but seen now in the context of my diagnosed dyspraxia, it leaves me wondering if this was yet another instance of my poor physical control being extended to the near unconscious control of my eye muscles? :Eek:

Makes you wonder :-k
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

I appear to have a problem with processing the information I get.

My eyes and ears are ok now (used to have glue ear, was born with a severe squint) but I still struggle sometimes and it must be the processing department that isn't quite working.

In crowded places, I struggle to understand what folk are saying. Pubs, bars etc. I manage a band of lads (16 - 19 years old) and they all mumble and don't move their mouths properly, so communicating with them at gigs can be hard.

Even when there is no background noise, sometimes I struggle with words. I hear them wrong, or someone will say something to me and I'll instantly forget it. That's not my ears though.

Seeing things.... I often miss things, sometimes things will completely disappear from my vision even though I'm looking straight at them. I have been known when I go out, to walk round a pub scrutinising every face, looking for my friends and I still miss them and then they have to come and get me, telling me that I had stared blankly at them without seeing them. But again, that isn't my eyes, it's my brain.
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Post by Lady Fluff »

my eyesight is terrible - my vision is -9, which is basically about an inch in front of my face before everything goes blurry. If my glasses break, I'm completely screwed!
My hearing is generally fine - too fine actually, I just have trouble distinguishing between levels of noise - that background music can be as loud as your conversation to me. If there's ever a big dyspraxia meet up, I propose it's in a pub with no music, or I won't be listening to any of you properly!
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I've had many eye tests over the last couple of years. I'm going for another in April. I'm slightly long sighted with a convergence problem. At the normal opticians they could never find a problem, even though I have trouble reading as the writing is blurred and moves around and I have problems seeing faces. I used to have regular migraines until I got my coloured lenses, now I just get headaches. I'm going to get tested to see if I need a different colour.

I can hear fine enough, wether I'm able to make sense of it is another matter. It gets worse especially in places where there several sounds going on at once. I hear everything but am able to process nothing. That combined with the vision and I get sensory overload rather quickly, causing stress and meltdowns quite frequently.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Well, it may be true for some but not for me, without my glasses I'm blind as a bat, and suffer with really bad hearing, I am half deaf in one ear.

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Emmur
Getting settled in

Post by Emmur »

I have quite bad short sight and nystagmus ehich is apparently a sort of jerking of the eye when trying to focus?! i just found out about that one. it was nice of the optician to tell me at some point since ive been going all these years... isn't that their job?! I had to find out from the neurologist! hearing fine though
hmm
babooshka2002
Regular Poster

Post by babooshka2002 »

Hmm. Well when I said 'fine' I wasn't really accurate, I'm short-sighted and have astigmatism.

I just never think of it, been wearing glasses for as long as I can remember!
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Re: Eyesight and Hearing

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I have okay eyesight-- minus 1.5 in both eyes, but I have really great hearing. I am an auditory learner.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
Remus
Regular Poster

Re: Eyesight and Hearing

Post by Remus »

My eyesight is great and I have hearing like a bat, I can listen to a conversation quite far away.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern