Looking after a house!

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wish90
Getting settled in

Re: Looking after a house!

Post by Wish90 »

Carlyr wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:45 pm My bf keeps say if you tide up as you go it would not get in a mess. Easyer said than done x
Yes exactly i keep saying that to my family and friends!! They just don't get it!! :@
Ar55
New member - welcome them!

Post by Ar55 »

OMG! I know why is it so difficult!! I loathe it.
    Laundry dishes cooking blah blah!
    I feel I am always failing. I have never been dirty just cluttered.
    I find it very difficult to maintain neatness consistently
    It’s wxjausting. I work full time no kids and I dig.
    My hubby is amazing and helps a lot but he gets frustrated at my lack of motivation when it comes to keeping up with the house.
    And duh! Yes it would be easier if I would clean as I go and I would if I could wrap my brain around that concept!
    Madiocre

Post by Madiocre »

I've been finding gathering everything that's out of place onto the lounge then sorting it and packing away helps, seems a bit less overwhelming and the house overall looks tidier more quickly. For washing up , hanging out etc I need to spend time sorting stuff first otherwise I feel like I don't get anywhere.
    Nosilah

Post by Nosilah »

I moved into a small caravan once and it was easy to just reach out and put things back without moving rather than just putting it down. My OCD friend was shocked by how tidy it was
    It takes me ages to think out a simplified system--I wonder if there is a list of dyspraxic household tips somewhere.I use a tumble drier as I can't keep track of washing drying and keep socks together. I tend to keep things in a pile,'box or Ikea bag.
    At the end of a tidy up miscellaneous things end up in a box together.
    LesleySM

Post by LesleySM »

I'm terrible and since I have been on my own and now covid-19 means no one is coming round it has got ridiculous . Put it this way I have a gas safety check next Monday and I just booked Friday off to give me 3 days to sort the kitchen floor out!
    Cozzy

Post by Cozzy »

I feel this, no matter how much I clean and I tidy my house just looks a mess. I get tired and bored of running round in what feels like circles. My husband, though he’s supportive gets very frustrated and tells me I let my dyspraxia beat me. I wish There was a way to make him understand. He thinks that I can just change the way I think over night, which is really fraustrating. Things like organising my wardrobe just seem impossible. Motivation is just non existent. Then I go threw spells of being crazy motivated but never lasts long. is anyone just constantly tired and in pain? Like I work for say 5 hours I come home and I feel battered like I’ve worked for about 12 hours 🤦‍♀️
    Xenavire
    Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I absolutely understand, I'm exhausted after a few hours of pretty much any intensive (physical or mental) activity. I believe a lot of us are that way to an extent - in order to compensate for our shortcomings, our brains and bodies work overtime. Is balance an issue? Your muscles work harder to keep you upright. Concentration troubles? Your brain has to compensate, which leads to fatigue much faster than a person without Dyspraxia.

When I was learning Dutch, I'd come home from my twice a week night classes, arriving around 10:30-11pm. I'd almost immediately fall asleep. Now, that may not sound weird, but most nights I couldn't switch off until 2-3am, so for a class that was only around two hours, maybe two and a half with breaks, the amount of mental effort and resulting fatigue was massive.

The hard part is getting someone to understand exactly how much it affects us. My girlfriend understands perfectly - she saw an immediate change when I was taking my night classes. However, some people are a lot less perceptive, or simply don't realise they should put two and two together. I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest is talking it out, and be very clear that "beating Dyspraxia" isn't actually possible, but slowly adjusting can make things easier over time. I don't have a good analogy, but people frequently treat Dyspraxia as the same as being normal, or not having difficulty. And we can't compare ourselves to people who are mentally or physically disabled - you can't compare any of us to a person with Down's Syndrome, or a Paraplegic. The closest thing most people compare us to is Dyslexia or Dyscalculia, but neither one of those have a physical aspect like Dyspraxia does.

(Ironically, I actually know a Dyslexic guy, several years younger than me, that thinks he needs to lecture me on all the stuff I can't do properly, like whining about it would actually help. You would think he'd have a little compassion, but because Dyslexia isn't as pervasive and all-encompassing as Dyspraxia is, he doesn't understand that even tying shoelaces or walking in a straight line can be difficult enough for some of us, let alone having our lives completely sorted.)

All in all, we have to be patient and explain that our good days are pretty close to "normal", but our bad days can feel like a catastrophe. Not everyone is going to understand though.
    Cozzy

Post by Cozzy »

There is lack of awareness for us, the only way I can explain it to people is explain it’s similar to autism but it isn’t. It’s hard to explain to an ordinary person. The worst is people think we use it as an excuse it’s very difficult. My brain either goes to fast for my body to handle or I’m too tired and have no motivation, there is literally no inbetween. Don’t start me on the forgetting things and being clumsy, reading a book is difficult. Writing is difficult. Physical pain after doing physical exercise. I wish I could re train my brain into being a “normal” person and I didn’t have these issues. It’s like a constant fight with yourself, along side those closest to you not understanding