Hand eye coordination difficulties

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

MusicL22
Getting settled in

Hand eye coordination difficulties

Post by MusicL22 »

Hello, there are many of us who have not had a formal diagnosis, me included. Having said that there are quite a few people who have had one.

Now to talk about a few hand eye coordination difficulties I personally have that I didn't think anything of until I got older and wanted to try different things. I have an issue with eyeliner, I have read this can be a common issue. The problem is more recently I have wanted to wear eyeliner and not been able to apply it properly. I know what to do but the minute I draw the line it goes crooked and wonky. I cannot shape it around the eyes even with stencils, in fact they made it worse! Holding the stencil and trying to focus on the line is very difficult. Getting my hands in the right position to do the task is also difficult, plus I don't have a steady hand for small fine motor tasks like this. I have even tried stick on eyeliner strips, again I cannot apply them correctly. Has anyone any advice or an easy tip to apply eyeliner? It's OK if I can't manage it, there's other make up I can apply Abit easier everytime I choose to wear it.
Dan
Power poster

Re: Hand eye coordination difficulties

Post by Dan »

I am always enamoured with how women are able to put on makeup with such precision; there's no way I could do it, and I'd probably poke my eye out if I tried to. I imagine you're already diagnosed with Dyspraxia? If so, practise does indeed help, but progress is often really slow, and our skill ceiling in certain areas is going to be lower as well. I do tend to think that Dyspraxics appear to be slightly more intelligent than average though, although perhaps that's just my biases talking. :)

I've never actually done Occupational Therapy, but it may be possible that they have some exercises for you to try. Hopefully somebody with more experience of that particular thing can clue you in here.
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

Dan wrote:I am always enamoured with how women are able to put on makeup with such precision; there's no way I could do it, and I'd probably poke my eye out if I tried to. I imagine you're already diagnosed with Dyspraxia? If so, practise does indeed help, but progress is often really slow, and our skill ceiling in certain areas is going to be lower as well. I do tend to think that Dyspraxics appear to be slightly more intelligent than average though, although perhaps that's just my biases talking. :)

I

I've never actually done Occupational Therapy, but it may be possible that they have some exercises for you to try. Hopefully somebody with more experience of that particular thing can clue you in here.
I've not actually had a diagnoses the closest I've had is a psychiatrist saying to my mum when I was 14 sounds like a slight Dypraxia after askibg me if I smashed things I said not deliberately but I stand and smash CD cases in my room. I'm 26 now and didn't think about any of it again till more recently.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Using cognifit brain training. Out of 800.

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

terrible eye/hand coordination here--always have had
sjsPuzzler
New member - welcome them!

Post by sjsPuzzler »

Try different eyeliners. I like paler eyeliners (like brown or grey) that I can blend in a bit when it's not perfectly straight, but it still gives your eyes a pop. Higher quality eyeliners are also usually easier to apply. Easy wash off makeups are a good choice when you're really uncoordinated too, having it take 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes to wipe off the many smudges definitely saves more time than not having to reapply it for a few more hours. I also gave up on makeup brushes long ago and always work with my fingers when possible, even when applying eyeliner my fingers often brush my eyelid, you just need to wash your hands between makeups then.