Can openers!

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Can openers!

Post by firemonkey »

The height of dyspraxic frustration-fancying a tin of rice pudding and you can't work out how to use the can opener !
firemonkey
Power poster

Re: Can openers!

Post by firemonkey »

Correct that managed to work it out,but will I remember next time? Is that a dyspraxic thing I wonder-variable ability to do a task?

" Variable performance- better at a task one day, poorer the next," http://www.snagroup.ie/index.php/dys2
Manage
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

firemonkey wrote:Correct that managed to work it out,but will I remember next time? Is that a dyspraxic thing I wonder-variable ability to do a task?

" Variable performance- better at a task one day, poorer the next," http://www.snagroup.ie/index.php/dys2
Manage
Yes I would say it is.
My Tin opener seems to be in need of replacement as it's effectiveness is impaired (or is that me who shd be replaced?).

I'm a bit wary of pull tab cans as have managed to twist and break off the pull tab before now.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I have always had a great deal of difficulty with can openers. As a child we had no choice but to purchase and open cans but now I rarely do since just about everything comes in foil pouches or other containers that do not require can openers.
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

I can relate to this - and yes some days I seem to be able to do things easily and other times not. But I have a Magican tin opener which is amazing - it is very easy to use. You can buy them in most supermarkets I think.

Sometimes I find I need to slow down and think before I do something - I have a tendency to rush because I get in a panic and want to get the things over with, but that makes it worse.

Hope this might be helpful.

ps: how great this forum is - to be among people who understand the problems of a can opener! :)
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

firemonkey wrote:The height of dyspraxic frustration-fancying a tin of rice pudding and you can't work out how to use the can opener !
Personally I find can openers very strainous and stiff and my wrist is knackered by the time the can is open, half the time I'm twisting it the wrong way or breaking the can and can't get the lid fully off.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

Tom fod wrote: I'm a bit wary of pull tab cans as have managed to twist and break off the pull tab before now.
Had that quite a few times. Then there's the fact it can be hard to pull the tab!
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

I can't remember the last time I had to use a can opener, but whilst it was a bit of a struggle for me, I got through it. My biggest issue is gripping things. I'm so bloody anxious all the time that I guess I heat up suddenly, like an adrenaline rush, and it makes my skin all oily and I fail at everything. I currently have two jam jars I ordered that I can't open, so I am going to enlist assistance!
SarahTheScout
Getting settled in

Post by SarahTheScout »

firemonkey wrote:
Tom fod wrote: I'm a bit wary of pull tab cans as have managed to twist and break off the pull tab before now.
Had that quite a few times. Then there's the fact it can be hard to pull the tab!
I hate the ones with the ring pull thing. It wrecks my fingers trying to lift it even a tiny bit, and then trying to get the last bit of the lid off, it always splashes everywhere.
firemonkey
Power poster

Post by firemonkey »

SarahTheScout wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
I hate the ones with the ring pull thing. It wrecks my fingers trying to lift it even a tiny bit, and then trying to get the last bit of the lid off, it always splashes everywhere.

Yes-the dreaded splashing ! It can be damned hard with those ring pull things.
MusicL22
Getting settled in

Post by MusicL22 »

firemonkey wrote:The height of dyspraxic frustration-fancying a tin of rice pudding and you can't work out how to use the can opener !
I find it hard to twist it against the metal, very stiff I'm left handed. It results in pain and sometimes can't even open the can fully so I end up having to chuck stuff out!