I find a lot of two handed tasks difficult?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

lizzie1991
Getting settled in

I find a lot of two handed tasks difficult?

Post by lizzie1991 »

Hi everyone I have put a question mark in my title because I'm asking about what it says on the website as I believe this is a big issue for me.

I am poor at two handed tasks and always have been. I will give a few examples. I cannot walk and open a backpack zip the same time as holding the backpack. I have to put the backpack down or hold tightly and unzip.

I once bought a guitar during a period where I was having a blip. It was a waste of money because I couldn't hold the guitar and play the strings at the same time. I could not use the right hand and play with the left at the same time or in time. That is no big loss as I couldn't play the guitar anyway and got rid of it.

I now have a keyboard and I can't play it with both hands, not because im left handed but because my right hand is slower to move in the fingers and can't play in time with the left. Would this be a dexterity problem? Or my right hand being slower be another issue?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: I find a lot of two handed tasks difficult?

Post by Tom fod »

Dexterity and coordination are inter-related. Dyspeaxia affects us in different ways both physically, emotionally, psychologically and we cope (or struggle) in our own unique way.

If you find it easier to stop and put your backback down first, that is actually being more practical and sensible than trying to do it while walking and dropping your stuff or tripping over the blooming thing x
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)