Touch screen phones

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

firemonkey
Power poster

Touch screen phones

Post by firemonkey »

Who else has difficulty swiping these? I tend to swipe too heavily and it takes several attempts for something to happen.
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Re: Touch screen phones

Post by Jenny3142 »

I sometimes have difficulty keeping it in my hands, but swiping and gestures are generally not a problem, which is a good job as I have the iPhone X and it´s all gestures and swipes now!
lizzie1991
Getting settled in

Post by lizzie1991 »

firemonkey wrote:Who else has difficulty swiping these? I tend to swipe too heavily and it takes several attempts for something to happen.
I was thinking about this myself last night or the night before when I was trying to draw round text on my phone with my finger. I sometimes under swipe or swipe to vigorously. I sometimes can't control the pressure of swiping on certain games.
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

To be honest I still have a Blackberry because I like my little keyboard! I'm fine on a touch screen like an ipad (although I prefer a lap top with a proper keyboard) but on an i-phone/smartphone it is too small and I type every word wrong and this annoys me!

Bring back manual typewriters, that's what I say! :)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I have a great deal of difficulty texting with them for that very reason. So, I have an old fashioned phone with buttons. It's funny, I always knew this has had something to do with dyspraxia but couldn't quite put into words the precise difficulty I was having with these phones in terms of texting.
firemonkey
Power poster

Keyboard on smartphone

Post by firemonkey »

Anyone else have problems using a keyboard on a smartphone? I don't know whether it's the fact my fingers are fat and the keyboard so small/lack of manual dexterity but I keep pressing wrong keys. Then there is the whole issue of swiping to use the delete button or anything else on the smartphone which I frequently struggle with.
Dan
Power poster

Re: Keyboard on smartphone

Post by Dan »

I mean, they're a nightmare generally, due to being so small, but it will be worse for Dyspraxic people. It's one of the reasons I got the Galaxy S8+, as it has a pretty big screen, so the keyboard is bigger. That might be an idea if you can afford it? :) You could also use text to speech?
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Post by SwervingCentaur »

I've never really had a problem with keyboards or smartphones, the only problem that I have with my smartphone is that it's taking a while to input letters and words, really need an upgrade.
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

I use swype on my smartphones. It allows me to be far less accurate. Alternatively you can get the new Blackberry KeyOne for 300€ now with physical keyboard :D (I still love my Blackberrys)
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

It took me some time to master a touch screen phone. I used to swipe the screen a little too firmly, which could lead to me opening applications which I had not intended to use.
Jenny3142
Getting settled in

Post by Jenny3142 »

nickye wrote:To be honest I still have a Blackberry because I like my little keyboard! I'm fine on a touch screen like an ipad (although I prefer a lap top with a proper keyboard) but on an i-phone/smartphone it is too small and I type every word wrong and this annoys me!

Bring back manual typewriters, that's what I say! :)
I still have (and use) a BlackBerry Classic and BlackBerry Passport. It´s a pity that BB10 apps are dying, but the devices still have their uses. There is the new BB KeyOne, but apparently, the keyboard is bloody awful.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I'm terrible at swiping and at texting because I have difficulty with the proper force with which to swipe.
Xam
Getting settled in

Post by Xam »

The digital keyboard is terrible for me, but it's still better than the ol' "press 4 times the number 7 to get an /s/" (or maybe another number, can't remember) type of keyboards which were HELL.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

I can't use a keyboard on a smartphone. I have to use a physical keyboard.
JKMarshal
New member - welcome them!

Post by JKMarshal »

Swiping isn't so much of an issue for me, but I've been through 3 screens in the last 12 months after dropping or slipping out of my hands.